Making a Scraper

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
They are indeed pricey and in my mind not necessary. I like the thin scrapers, which I can flex to fit a curve. I normally use scrapers .031 to .050" thick - much thinner than .125

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had a spoon plane that never worked well, I took the blade out and use it as a small scraper. It works great. The blade is about 1/8 inch thick or a little more.

Last edited:

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I search flea markets and other venues for old paint scrapers/putty knives, remove the handles, sharpen as a scraper and Voila! I have a very useful scraper. I can even use them for scraping items on the lathe. (Haven't figured out photos yet.)

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Mike, I picked up a cheap kinked hand saw at a garage sale. It had some pitting and the handle was broken. I cut it up and made multiple scrapers out of it. Some standard rectangular shape and some funky shaped as I needed. Keep you eyes open and think outside the box!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's certainly different from a flexible card scraper and at 1/8" thick it won't flex like a card scraper. The steel is tempered slightly and you can't turn a burr on the edge like a card scraper. Here's a video about it.

Lhloy

New User
Larry
If you look at the amazon address you have above look at what others viewed below. A set of 3 scrapers together. I have several that I use like these on my bench every day.

For 16 bucks that's a difference in price and something you can afford.
The way I interpret the Amazon ad is you only get 1 scraper. They sell the other 2 configurations separately.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Yes you only get 1 scraper

• CONTENTS: Package includes (3) scrapers inside (1) carrying pouch; Approximate overall sizes include 2.5-inch x 5-inch (6.4cm x 12.7cm) rectangle scraper, 6-inch x 2-inch (15.2cm x 5.1cm) concave/convex piece, 4.6-inch x 3-inch (11.7cm x 7.6cm) curved gooseneck shape

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Now there is a good idea and the cost difference is so small. Thinking about scrapers, that would be a fun class for those folks who haven't tried using them. Maybe?

For now, I have at least 5 card scrapers and several curved scrapers on the bench at all times. Why so many? I keep 2 of the straight edge scrapers tuned with only my mill file and then rolled. Less than 2 minutes and you are working again. This is not a finish surface but its aggressive and easy. It stays in my back pocket when I am in the shop.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I've been happy with the below scraper that I bought several years ago.

https://twocherriesusa.com/product/scraper-with-prepared-edges/

I bought the scraper to shave down epoxy that I used to fill knot holes on a couple of tables that I built. Someone, or several someones, on NCwoodworker had suggested scraping instead of sanding. I had forgotten about the scraper until your thread, so I tried it again a few days ago with my "woodworkers in training" (and the four legged supervisor).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS