Sanding belts

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I don't do a lot of sanding, was taught that is bad woodworking. But sometimes the only other option is spending too much time to be a purist.

So, I normally buy a few grades of belts and they remain on the shelf until I need one. By the time I use one on my 9 x 48 combination sander, they fail at the joint within seconds, as the glue got old and no longer holds the belt together.

Has anyone found a brand that will hold up a few years without failing?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
After many years of buying cheap belts from any source I could find, I've finally settled on the Klingspor brand abrasives for all my sanding needs. I can't say if they'll hold up several years after sitting idle, and then being put to use. Unlike you I do a lot of sanding, so they wear out long before that.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Coleman may add a comment, but I likewise have not gotten longevity from the joint.
I have wondered about humidity control, like a humidor for them, but then mold may become
another issue.
Ed

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
The adhesives used in joining the belt ends together are not designed for long term storage and usage. Once you have a belt - it is best to use it within the first few months of buying it. Age, humidity, tension or lack thereof all contribute to joint failure. Buy only what you know you are going to use within the time frame of your plans and be prepared to buy again.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
You guys are so organized! I don’t plan that well, may not use my sander in a year, then need it the next minute.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
You guys are so organized! I don’t plan that well, may not use my sander in a year, then need it the next minute.
Willem
It has been awhile since I changed belts on my sander, but 10 years ago (or more) I definitely experienced the same issue - and I believe that was with Klingspor's belts. I am NOT knocking their product, just noting that even with quality belts this can happen. Since then I have taken to storing belts inside in my basement (climate controlled, and cooler than the main level). I BELIEVE (but have not checked recently) that this has solved my long term storage issue - because I have used belts, without any issue, that had been stored for several years.
So my very limited experience says that storage conditions are the primary variable here. Find a corner in a closet that is in climate controlled (and cool?!) conditions (i.e. like pharmaceuticals that should be stored in a "cool dry place') and I expect that 'all your problems will go away', well at least these issues with sanding belt breakage.

Hope that helps

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Willem
It has been awhile since I changed belts on my sander, but 10 years ago (or more) I definitely experienced the same issue - and I believe that was with Klingspor's belts. I am NOT knocking their product, just noting that even with quality belts this can happen. Since then I have taken to storing belts inside in my basement (climate controlled, and cooler than the main level). I BELIEVE (but have not checked recently) that this has solved my long term storage issue - because I have used belts, without any issue, that had been stored for several years.
So my very limited experience says that storage conditions are the primary variable here. Find a corner in a closet that is in climate controlled (and cool?!) conditions (i.e. like pharmaceuticals that should be stored in a "cool dry place') and I expect that 'all your problems will go away', well at least these issues with sanding belt breakage.

Hope that helps

Perhaps the moral of this observation is that belts are like Old Woodworkers, we keep longer and perform better in climatically control conditions!;)

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Good morning all,

Many of your points above are correct. To give you an idea, Klingspor Abrasives warranty their industrial belts for one year! Main reason: storage. Climate controlled environments make for better and longer lasting yield to belts but because this is not practical for all, then the warranty is in place. We here at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop warranty them for 2 years because we know hobbiest don't use a frequent as industrial so we "hope" folks don't leave in buildings where the temperature is 30 degrees one day and 125 a few months later. With this said, I have seen belts come in our stores that are 15 years old and still hold up and I have seen belts that are 3 years old and everyone of them "pop" as soon as pressure is added.
Best rule of thumb: Buy what you plan to use in a year!

Coleman

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't do a lot of sanding so I have some belts that came with my used 2 x 72 knife grinder. I know they are at least 12 years old and some may be older. None have failed yet. And my son used several when he was home for winter break. I didn't buy them, they are marked Norton, 3M, and a couple other brands. I do use my 1 x 30 sander for sharpening tools and all of those belts are 3M and Klingspor with no failures and some of those are over 10 years old. All this is in my basement garage shop which is not temperature regulated and does go from freezing to over 100° every seasonal cycle.

Being the frugal kinda guy that I am I wonder if high temperature carpet tape would hold the joint of a sanding belt? The kinda tape that has to be melted with a hot iron.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I buy all my abrasives from Farris Belt & Saw here in Charlotte. Their shop is just around the corner from my shop. I have had a couple of separations and Farris replaced them.

Pop

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS