CuZn37 brass?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I would like to try building a peened together plane or two and have been told that CuZn37 is the type of brass I need for the sides as it will not work harden like other types of brass. Anyone know what this brass is; McMaster Carr is my regular supplier and they don't list any brass using this nomenclature. Better yet does anyone know what brass I should be using? I know naval brass will work but it is very expensive for a first or so experiment of peened planes.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I wonder if this vendor would sell you what you need?

He seems to cater to folks wishing to build their own hand tools.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
That's a EU designation for a 63/37 copper/zinc alloy for yellow brass. It cross references to C27400 brass in the US. If you google C27400 brass you'll get quite a few info and where to buy hits. Hope that helps.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
McMaster-Carr has brass 260 (CuZn30, cartridge brass) for $64 (12" x 12" x 1/8"t). The CuZn35 is alloy #270 but I can't find anywhere to buy it in smaller size sheets.

What size sheet(s) do you need?

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Online Metals will sell most anything in small quantities.

That's where I usually buy. I didn't see anything there yesterday that was directly C27400, but I didn't take the time to go through all the info on their different alloy designations to see what, if anything, matched up close enough for what the OP is looking for. It's very likely that one of the brass alloys they sell would work just as well for making a plane. There's a lot of info there on the site.

Last edited:

ptross

New User
peter
David, the cartridge brass and the 63/37 brass will work harden too. Also, You are likely to find only "half hard" sheets from most suppliers, so you should plan to anneal before peening the plates together. You can do this with a propane or Mapp gas torch. Heat the tabs you intend to peen to a dull red heat (in a dark room). you can quench in water or air cool, no difference in results. You will probably need to straighten the plates after annealing, but the brass will now be softer and easier to adjust.

Peter

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS