Looking for a used lathe

jlong1965

New User
Jason Long
In search of an affordable used lathe 3/4 to 1hp. Prefer one with a stand, but not critical. thanks

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jason, I don’t have a lead on a lathe for you, but if you provide a little more information, maybe someone else will chime in.

So, are you searching for a 40” bed to turn chair spindles or a stubby to turn 30” bowls?

Are you looking to spend $$$ or an economical lathe to start out on?

It also may be helpful to describe your turning experience if you’re interested in sharing that.

jlong1965

New User
Jason Long
TENdriver, thank you for your help. I am looking for a lathe that is at least 1-hp speeds from 600 to 3,500, and comes on a stand. I have been looking at Jet JWL-1440VSK, and Shop Fox W1758. Trying to stay under $500. Once again thank you for your help.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have a Delta 1440 Iron Bed lathe that is in good condition. $500 is my asking price. I can try to post some pix later. It is on a stand.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good luck, took me 20 years to find a lathe I liked that I could afford.

Whoa, just saw Bruce’s offer, better get that quick. I’ve know Bruce a long time, he won’t cheat you and that is a great deal from all I have seen.

I paid $500 for my lathe, then $450 for the variable drive, another $400 for the chuck and jaws, then more for other tooling and gouges. And just spent some more rebuilding the head, but I have what I want and wouldn’t let it go.

jlong1965

New User
Jason Long
Hi Bruce. Thanks for the offer. I am just wondering if you are same person selling the Delta 1440 on craigslist for $450. I am looking for a lathe that does not require many adjustments. The 1440 has a bad rep on this. Has this been your experience?

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I've had a Delta 1440 iron bed for about 15 years. My big gripe is with the pulleys on the Reeves drive. My pulleys are made from zinc? or some kind of pot metal. Mine broke and Delta no longer sells a replacement. Now I am in the process of changing the drive system to step pulleys. I think I paid less than $600 for it new, so I've gotten my money out of it.

Clt_capt

New User
Fred
I've got a Nova 1624 (old Model) that I have retrofitted a DVR motor on - I would let it go for $600. It has Nova Legs and wheels.

With the DVR motor, No belt changes to change speeds - just push a button (speeds can be preset)

It is about 4 years old - I simply don't have room in my shop for it

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Hi Bruce. Thanks for the offer. I am just wondering if you are same person selling the Delta 1440 on craigslist for $450. I am looking for a lathe that does not require many adjustments. The 1440 has a bad rep on this. Has this been your experience?
No, that is not mine. Mine works ok, I just installed a new Jet switch on the lathe.

awldune

Sam
User
I've got a Nova 1624 (old Model) that I have retrofitted a DVR motor on - I would let it go for $600. It has Nova Legs and wheels.

With the DVR motor, No belt changes to change speeds - just push a button (speeds can be preset)

It is about 4 years old - I simply don't have room in my shop for it

This is a smokin' deal IMHO.

Fred, where did you pick up a DVR motor and what did it set you back? I have a 1624 myself.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS