3D Scanner

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Wanted to reach out and see if anyone owns or has any experience with handheld 3D scanners. Work is looking to add one to our arsenal and I don't have any experience or knowledge about them. Seems there are a bunch of them on the market for scanning small objects (less than a meter square) but I need one to do much larger objects...think semi truck large. So I wanted to start here and see if anyone had knowledge or experience or even be able to point me in the right direction to be able to ask more intelligent questions. Thank you

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
On the ShopBot forums (www.talkshopbot.com) 3D scanning comes up a lot, Most of the threads are about people disappointed with quality of 3D scanning unless you have high dollar equipment.

One regular poster on that site is Brady Watson, his website ibild.com offers it as a service but he uses high end equipment. You might go to ShopBot site and search and read up on 3D there, and pay close attention to what Brady says about it.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have had exposure to one that large actually and specifically for scanning a semi truck.... what are your concerns I can probably find out if I dont know the answer.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have had exposure to one that large actually and specifically for scanning a semi truck.... what are your concerns I can probably find out if I dont know the answer.
My concerns are ordering the wrong thing and paying way too much. I’ve seen them anywhere from $1200 to above $6000 which is a rather large price swing. What we want to do is two fold, the first being scanning the object and then being able to use it for 3D marketing. And the second is being able to take objects we’ve built and then 3D print them, again as marketing props.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
For something as large as a semi truck, $6000 seems like a bargain. The one that Im familiar with, is used for complex surface mapping and inspection. It will check scanned data against a 3D surface model. I believe I heard it cost in the $250k range. We are not comparing apples to apples here.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
For something as large as a semi truck, $6000 seems like a bargain. The one that Im familiar with, is used for complex surface mapping and inspection. It will check scanned data against a 3D surface model. I believe I heard it cost in the $250k range. We are not comparing apples to apples here.

I agree with that, for $250k we could open a whole new marketing wing. I need something in the lower cost range or the project doesn't really have feasibility. Thanks for the info, I will continue google searching...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS