Adhesive for Glass?

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
We have a glass table with a segmented, I guess you'd call it that, glass pedestal/base. The short version is that the adhesive between 2 of the segments gave out while picking it up to move it. I'm looking for a way to "glue" the pedestal back together. It actually appears that it's not held together by glue at all. There is a 2" circle of what appears to be some type of double sided tape or film that holds the segments/layers together. I'm wondering if CA applied to the circle might bond it back together. I've looked for adhesives online and essentially found "glass glue" which from the reviews seems to be nothing other than CA glue re-labeled. I found some adhesive tapes, but no circles, which might do the job. The adhesive could be any shape I would guess, but wondering if a square might be noticeable. I could always try to make a circle....

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions from folks who might have some experience or suggestions on how to get this back together to please LOML. :)
Here's some pictures to make it a little clearer, tough to get good ones though.

Thanks,
B.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Searching for clear adhesive disks on Amazon turned up some possibilities. I'm out of town using my tablet right now and cannot get to make a proper link. Sorry.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Searching for clear adhesive disks on Amazon turned up some possibilities. I'm out of town using my tablet right now and cannot get to make a proper link. Sorry.
Thanks Jim, some of the ones I found the reviews said they yellowed pretty quickly so I guess I'll just have to dig thru a buncha reviews to find something that doesn't have that issue noted.

B.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
May want to look at a UV activated glue. Cut a 2" diameter template to help get it applied to the base piece, and then use dowels under the top to get it positioned, a bit like dropping a veneer on contact adhesive. Of course, this technique would also work on CA. I also have never found an epoxy that remained totally clear, but the glue for attaching a rear view mirror to a windshield comes close.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I repaired a glass decoy display case for a friend with it, he's not mentioned yellowing. But then again he might not want to seem rude. I'll check in with him.

Funny story, he wanted to borrow some clamps to glue the pieces together; I laughed and said I'd do it.

Last edited:

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Plumbers goop will do what you want. I use it to glue my turkey calls together. Works very well. I put a small amount in a medicine syringe with out a needle. That allows me to lay a small bead of glue exactly where I want it.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Lots of good ideas.

Phil and Ron. My concern with the silicone is if it will support the weight of the bottom piece when picked up? The only real way to move the base is by lifting from the top. Tilting it to the side to try to get under it I think puts too much torque on the joints and may only cause further issues.

B.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lots of good ideas.

Phil and Ron. My concern with the silicone is if it will support the weight of the bottom piece when picked up? The only real way to move the base is by lifting from the top. Tilting it to the side to try to get under it I think puts too much torque on the joints and may only cause further issues.

B.
It will - no worries

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
How much do you estimate the table's full weight is? Just water over a 2"d circle will provide about 45 lbs of suction between two sheets of glass. Silicone provides a bit more, and the flexible edge lets you have a bit of uneven lifting pressure without losing the seal. Unless quite thin, it may have a bit of a milky look to it. If it doesn't work, should be easy enough to remove. I will admit, that table looks like it might be pretty heavy.

While doing some looking, I did come across this : https://www.mcmaster.com/silicone-adhesives . Check out the "Glue on a roll".

Last edited:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Mark, yes it is pretty heavy. I'd say in the 65-75 lb range and it doesn't get moved a lot.

B

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
Not sure how well it will work in your application, but many years ago I built some fish tanks one of which held something like 800# of water with nothing but glass butt joined with silicone. It is pretty strong stuff for joining glass.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I built some aquariums back in college with salvaged glass and silicone. It will probably show though. I would look into the glue that is sold for attaching rear view mirrors to the inside of windshields. I used one of those kits many years ago to reattach a mirror in an old car I had. If I remember correctly it was a form of CA but had two parts or at least an accelerator or cure agent.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used aquarium grade silicone to stick glass to glass in fish tanks. Doesn't take much.

That was my thinking as well - whatever they use to hold aquariums together should remain clear and if it holds water should seal pretty well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS