Hanger Bolt question

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
So, I’d like to make a front knob like this accessory from Lee Valley/Veritas:

I have the hanger bolts to attach the knob, but I feel the bolt may need to be secured to the knob since this frequently gets twisted to open and close the mouth of the plane.

Any suggestions on how best to lock the bolt to the wooden knob?

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You could put a little epoxy in the hole and on the threads while screwing the hanger bolt in. It would add strength to the joint and help to prevent rotation of the bolt after the epoxy sets up. It will also make screwing the hanger bolt in easier.

senovak

New User
Steve
I second the epoxy answer for the screw thread side. You can also use Loctite Blue on the bolt end threads. It'll hold tight but still allow you to remove the knob if need be.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I second the epoxy answer for the screw thread side. You can also use Loctite Blue on the bolt end threads. It'll hold tight but still allow you to remove the knob if need be.

Steve, It probably won’t help to Loctite the machine threads. That part needs to be loosened each time you adjust the size of the mouth opening.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's the top part of the hanger bolt in the wooden handle? Correct?

The Lee Valley instructions also suggest using epoxy for that. See Items 5 & 6 of the instructions on your website link.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
It's the top part of the hanger bolt in the wooden handle? Correct?

The Lee Valley instructions also suggest using epoxy for that. See Items 5 & 6 of the instructions on your website link.

Jeff, Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason, I can only see the very first page of those instructions. I had an inkling there should be more.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you really don’t want it to move you can drill a small hole through the knob and bolt then drive a small finish nail or brass rod through the hole.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS