Outreach trailer interior makeover

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Kudos to Phil and Charlie for their exceptional work on revamping the lathe stands for the new Rikon lathes. I picked it up at Phil's Tuesday night and brought back to Winston until it is needed elsewhere.

For anyone who has worked out of the trailer before, be prepared for shock.

Much of the unused and underused material was auctioned off or tossed out (junk). I did not roll out the lathes today for these photos.

The lathes are slightly staggered on the left side of the trailer. There is a spacer block between each of the lathes to protect the electronics control box when the lathes are latched down for transport.

At the bottom of the lathe stand, there is a bracket with a bolt fastened through it. This is used for the dolly to latch and pull the lathe to the desired spot under the tent.

The dolly slightly lifts the stand off of the ground and the user can pull it forward. It still takes 2 people to maneuver the lathe out of the staggered storage positions and get out of the trailer.

Ready to move out of storage position.

There is a 2x3 to fill the slot between the floor and ramp door. Once you have the lathe on the ramp, you can position the rear wheels into position on the back of the lathe stand (not pictured).

The front of the trailer now houses shelves and plastic storage boxes that are the same size to hold various project components.

We do need to find a better way to secure the small bandsaw, it was laying on it's side after the trip from Raleigh.

Attachments

• 1552069439997.png
    1552069439997.png
    538.9 KB · Views: 196

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have unloaded and reloaded the trailer in the past and this work should be lauded!
Thank you to whomever had the original idea to redo it and to Phil (who is typically busy on any given day to take time out of his personal and professional life to get this done! a REAL NCWW HERO!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
All of the reorganization of the trailer and it's contents goes to Phil. All I did was make the lathe shields.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
All of the reorganization of the trailer and it's contents goes to Phil. All I did was make the lathe shields.
ANNND we thank you for that - a REALLY important thing to HAVE DONE rather than hoping it will get done before the show! THANK YOU Charlie!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
If I missed anyone else who assisted Phil, I apologize in advance.

Charlie, those lathe shields are remarkable. I will attempt to get some photos of an assembled lathe once the weather clears

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Anyone know what supplies we have or need?
Berta, they should all be there. I did get rid of several extension cords that had repaired ends and deemed not safe for use in public. There are still three cords in the trailer.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
A big thanks to Fred P. He took an afternoon off to help me assemble the front shelves. He is my secret weapon - When I need something done quickly and correctly

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Are the power strips there? Are the extension cords the ones with the 3 outlets on one end?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are the power strips there? Are the extension cords the ones with the 3 outlets on one end?

The cords with the triple outlets are there. I do not remember loading the power strips - I recall some were damaged and then tossed

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A big thanks to Fred P. He took an afternoon off to help me assemble the front shelves. He is my secret weapon - When I need something done quickly and correctly
Thanks FredP !

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The cords with the triple outlets are there. I do not remember loading the power strips - I recall some were damaged and then tossed
If we knew the correct distances, I could create custom cords to "daisy chain" the lathes, then have one power cord to the "first" lathe.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If we knew the correct distances, I could create custom cords to "daisy chain" the lathes, then have one power cord to the "first" lathe.
Thanks for the offer - please remember we need to conform with OSHA and not have repaired or modified cords. Probably does not matter in many venues, but certainly could at the AAW show

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The only place that might be a problem is Stokes Stomp. We are about 75 feet from the outlet, I have had to use 3 cords to reach the lathes before. And then one or two cords to reach the outlet in the other direction for the other tools.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Thankyou much to Phil, Charlie and Fred. Sorry I wasnt any help. Work seems to be getting in the way a lot. I agree we need at least 3 cords on the trailer and one should be 100'. The other 2 or 3 can be 25's

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thankyou much to Phil, Charlie and Fred. Sorry I wasnt any help. Work seems to be getting in the way a lot. I agree we need at least 3 cords on the trailer and one should be 100'. The other 2 or 3 can be 25's
There are three cords. My guess is two 50 and one 25. I think all three are triple tap. I have a very heavy 100 here from the trailer but both ends are repaired.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS