Dewalt DW735

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
Ok, I am far far away from having ANY electrical knowledge. However, I think (hope) the circuit breaker on my planer is shot. I have a multimeter(which I don’t know how to use), but I put it on ohms and tested the onboard breaker, and I get a large reading( analog). But when I put the leads into the wire leads from the planer , I get no reading at all. I’m not sure what this means, but I hope it means the circuit breaker is shot. Can anyone give me some guidance. Thanks.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The ohms scale on an analog meter reads from right to left usually. In other words the resting indicator needle will start on the left and read increasing voltage as it moves to the right BUT decreasing resistance. Look at where the ohms scale reads zero and it should be on the right.

If you read full scale right or zero across the breaker then the breaker is probably ok. I'd expect the needle to not move at all across the plug unless you flip the power switch to the on position.

Hope that helps.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Ok, I am far far away from having ANY electrical knowledge. However, I think (hope) the circuit breaker on my planer is shot. I have a multimeter(which I don’t know how to use), but I put it on ohms and tested the onboard breaker, and I get a large reading( analog). But when I put the leads into the wire leads from the planer , I get no reading at all. I’m not sure what this means, but I hope it means the circuit breaker is shot. Can anyone give me some guidance. Thanks.

Jim
Where are you located? It's not in your profile.

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
I tried to jump the two wires that go to the circuit breaker. I just ran a wire from one wire to the other wire. The planer will still not turn on. Does that mean that the circuit breaker is good, and my problem might be the switch, or something even more complex?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you put a wire between the input and the output of the circuit breaker and the planner did not respond it means the circuit breaker is not the issue - PROVIDED, the switch was on and the power was on to the outlet you were plugged into. If either the outlet did not have power (breaker was tripped) or the planner switch was not on, then it doesn't tell you anything.

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
Thanks nn4jw and JimD. I jumped the micro switch and the planer started running. I just ordered a micro switch but it won’t get here for at least a week from today. I need my planer NOW. Would it hurt to run the planer with the micro switch bypassed?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Try blowing out the micro switch with some compressed air. Sometimes that will remove dust that has worked its way in and is preventing contact. I have to do that often on a couple of my tools.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If it doesn't start functioning after you try to clean it, bypassing it will not damage the planner.

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
It wouldn’t work after cleaning, so I bypassed it. Ran some walnut thru it, turned it off, went to start it again........nothing. Now it’s either the circuit breaker, main switch, or motor, I guess. I didn’t run it hard. 1/32” a pass, and I don’t smell any electrical burning or anything. My luck sucks.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
It wouldn’t work after cleaning, so I bypassed it. Ran some walnut thru it, turned it off, went to start it again........nothing. Now it’s either the circuit breaker, main switch, or motor, I guess. I didn’t run it hard. 1/32” a pass, and I don’t smell any electrical burning or anything. My luck sucks.

I’m having trouble with my 735 as well. Kind of similar to yours. Did you figure out what the problem is?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS