Where can i find 1/8" hardwood plywood?

cskipper

Cathy
I've been working with 1/8" plywood lately and wondered if there is a supplier of 1/8" that's not Baltic Birch of Finnisih. Any suggestions?

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Cathy,

Try the Wurth Group in Charlotte. They will very likely have what you want. I know that Charlotte isn't very close to you, but it's the only place that I go when I want good plywood.

Charley

Wurth Group

Woodworking supply store in Charlotte, North Carolina

Address: 4250 Golf Acres Dr, Charlotte, NC 28208 (Near the airport)

Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 7:30AM Mon

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good luck. From what I have found 1/8" hardwood plywood does not exist. I used to get it from Sloans but they no longer carry it. I checked with the Wurth Group in Raleigh and all they sell in 1/8" is luan. If you find a source PLEASE share it.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've been working with 1/8" plywood lately and wondered if there is a supplier of 1/8" that's not Baltic Birch of Finnisih. Any suggestions?

I'm curious. Why are you using 1/8" ply for your projects but don't want BB (Finnish is the same as BB).

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
World Panel Products has sapele 4 x 8 x 1/8(3mm). They also have okoume in 2mm thick. They are in NC
Check out worldpanel.com

cskipper

Cathy
Using Finnish would be fine. I'm wanting to add variety to my pieces and have had little success with staining either.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I'm curious. Why are you using 1/8" ply for your projects but don't want BB (Finnish is the same as BB).

Jeff, there is a difference between Baltic and Finnish. The Finnish uses a marine grade "water proof" glue and the Baltic doesn't. The Finnish is or was used in the aviation community from what I've read in the past. Last time I looked the Finnish is a few bucks more than the Baltic version in retail stores.

B.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Isn't that plywood with hardwood face veneers? The core layers are probably not hardwood.
Baltic Birch plywood has many qualities that scrollers like (void free, multi ply, minimum warping, etc) but it does not stain well. Yes hardwood plywood is available in thicker plywood (1/4" and greater ) but the thicker plywood is not well suited for all projects. I would love to be able to get maple, cherry, and oak.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used some Cherry hardwood ply in 1/8" that I got from The Hardwood Store. It was the kind with an MDF core. Had to buy a whole sheet though and just had some scraps to use for scrolling. The main pieces were used in a wine cabinet for drawer bottoms and cabinet backs.

You probably don't want a whole 4x8' sheet I suspect.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting. I looked this morning and the Hardwood Store doesn't list any 1/8" plywood in their entire selection. Maybe they discontinued it.

I used some Cherry hardwood ply in 1/8" that I got from The Hardwood Store. It was the kind with an MDF core. Had to buy a whole sheet though and just had some scraps to use for scrolling. The main pieces were used in a wine cabinet for drawer bottoms and cabinet backs.

cskipper

Cathy
Baltic Birch plywood has many qualities that scrollers like (void free, multi ply, minimum warping, etc) but it does not stain well. Yes hardwood plywood is available in thicker plywood (1/4" and greater ) but the thicker plywood is not well suited for all projects. I would love to be able to get maple, cherry, and oak.

How did you say that you added some color to some of your layered pieces?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting. I looked this morning and the Hardwood Store doesn't list any 1/8" plywood in their entire selection. Maybe they discontinued it.

Scroll almost to the bottom of their plywood page. Baltic Birch is listed separately from the other plywood. Might be because it comes in 5x5 sheets and not 4x8.

I know that they had thinner then 1/4" oak before . If not 1/8" it was 5 /32" . I still have a small piece left.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

I would not mind a full sheet. It might last be a few years but I have space to store it and the means to break them down as I needed to.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yep, I knew that they had 1/8" Baltic birch but was responding to Ken's post about getting 1/8" cherry plywood (MDF core) from the Hardwood Store. I should have been clearer about "hardwood plywoods". Thanks.

Scroll almost to the bottom of their plywood page. Baltic Birch is listed separately from the other plywood. Might be because it comes in 5x5 sheets and not 4x8.

I know that they had thinner then 1/4" oak before . If not 1/8" it was 5 /32" . I still have a small piece left.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors