Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
How to create and install cock-beading.

Dan (danmart77) will be the guest instructor

Class will include:
Introduction to various scratch stock holders - All students will receive a basic holder and blanks
Making custom scratch stocks
Using scratch stocks to make cock-beading
Installation of the cock-beading on a supplied veneered drawer front
Method to work with curved elements

This will be an all hand-tool class

Students will need to bring: chisel, small saw, light hammer

Lunch will be served

Class time will be 9:00 to 3:00 at my shop in NE Raleigh

We will need a minimum of six students and a max of eight

Cost of this class is $60 and a non-refundable deposit of $30 must be sent to Phil or Dan to lock in a class spot

As soon as we receive the deposit we will put your name on the list

Class list
1. Donn (DRW) paid in full
2. David Turner deposit paid
3. Richard (graywolf) deposit paid
4. Michael Mathews deposit paid
5. Jeremy Scuteri deposit paid
6. Rich (mrfixit) deposit paid
7. Charlie Buchanan paid in full
8. Jim (creasman)

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would look forward to it, I'll be sending a deposit this week

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

For those who might not be familiar with drawer fronts with applied cockbeading here's a few photos to maybe stir your interest. The walnut beading is applied to the maple burl face.

29may2016_148.JPG

In the small sample drawer below, you can see the narrow piece that is mitered and fit to the end grain of the drawer face. This is the challenge in the build and we will cover this in depth.

29may2016_149.JPG

There are several ways to do this using 18th century techniques. I use the method I found on some German built drawers but I will also demo the English method.

Hope to see some new faces in Raleigh.

Till then

Last edited:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I'd like to get in on this class! BUT....I won't know if I'll be on-call for work that weekend until close to the end of the year. So, I guess I'll wait to see if there is still a slot open or you can put me on the alternate list now and when I know I'll jump!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My question: I've read about cock beading surrounding a veneered face on a drawer to protect the veneer from chipping around the edges. I suppose that the beading could also be used on a drawer front without veneer if you like the accent and appearance. :eusa_thin

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My question: I've read about cock beading surrounding a veneered face on a drawer to protect the veneer from chipping around the edges. I suppose that the beading could also be used on a drawer front without veneer if you like the accent and appearance. :eusa_thin

Correct. It adds a nice detail and is also handy in hiding a slight in or out misalignment - not that I would ever have to use it for that purpose

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Correct. It adds a nice detail and is also handy in hiding a slight in or out misalignment - not that I would ever have to use it for that purpose

I also found this interesting article about cock beading by Steve Latta.

Attachments

• cockbeading.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 492

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
A lot of period furniture has cock beading attached to the case sides and not the drawers. The Townsend Knee Hole Bureau I'm presently working on has just such beading applied in a dado in sides and drawer dividers.

David Turner

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
A lot of period furniture has cock beading attached to the case sides and not the drawers. The Townsend Knee Hole Bureau I'm presently working on has just such beading applied in a dado in sides and drawer dividers.

David Turner

True enough David. This was unusual in some aspects. It is more work to go that way and it looks different than the bead applied to the drawer face. I have done both and they look good. Its a pretty tough case to argue against the craftsmanship of any Townsend piece I have examined. A trip to Rhode Island's design museums and the collection at Yale offer students of 18th century furniture an opportunity I found to be more informative than the museum in Delaware. All good but the collection at Yale is only eclipsed in my view by furniture in the US State Department.

In the 5 hour hands on workshop in January, I am planning to cover drawer face techniques. I will use some of what Steve Latta shows in the article Jeff mentions and I will cover the clever methods the Germans used get things done and out the door. The majority of the time Phil and I hope will be spent doing hands-on work with some guidance when needed.

Hope it will be useful for you. I know you are "knee deep" in your build but maybe by January you can come up for air flip the coin and do heads instead of tails.

Till then

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I also found this interesting article about cock beading by Steve Latta.

Steve Latta offers another example of installing cockbead to the drawers in FWW Mar/Apr 2006. This is a method widely used by other furniture builders who favor machine/hand tooling.

I do not discourage this method, but this class will focus on hand tooling for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS