NCWW Contest Dec 2018: Show us your Best Hand Made Christmas Gift!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
For December, show us your best handmade Christmas gift an win a little something extra to pickup that special tool you didn't get during Christmas!

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Michael,
Not trying to be pedantic but please expand on the definition of "hand-made".
Thanks,
Matt

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
Since we are mid December with no entries, I made this shawl/hair pin for my wife from osage orange and walnut:

IMG_20181204_133730066.jpg
IMG_20181204_133604382.jpg

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since I did not get any feedback on my question I am going to go ahead and submit the table I built for my wife as a Christmas gift.

Attachments

• Table 7.jpg
    Table 7.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Table 8.jpg
    Table 8.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 280

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Our best friends loved this little music box when I made it a few years ago. I finally got around for making one for them last Christmas.
When you press down on the keys, it plays Greensleeves. Happy friends - happy life!

ott.JPG

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Matt,
I'm glad you figured it out! If we took the topic to be literal, then no tools would be allowed...right? So I agree with your post of the table.

Michael,
Not trying to be pedantic but please expand on the definition of "hand-made".
Thanks,
Matt

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
I hesitated after the first three entries (wow!), but I'll throw these trays into the mix. My first projects have been larger furniture and cabinetry so far, so this is my first stab at smaller items. They are 8"x18" white oak serving trays. I used the article by Heide Martin in FWW #268. The only thing I changed was the wood type and some of the methods. This is my first go at breadboard ends, tapered sides, and exposed joinery. The handles are lashed with 2mm waxed cord, and the corners are pinned with 1/8" brass rods on the top and bottom. The bottom is a floating panel that was glued in the bread board ends only in the middle inch or so. I used General Finishes Arm R Seal for finishing. There were some "what did I just do" moments that I had to fix, but I think my sister and mom will enjoy these. At least, they will tell me as much!! I wasn't able to post the pictures normally, so I've tried to give you links. If you can't access, let me know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IIgCh1UfrboVivgHhvycCvdguSLKCs8L
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dj_p9EXzpfwupWfEaDmixibVyQw3GMzh
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ACV1kUTPqbv3nLJfy0EEEMhHScTSP1a9

Last edited:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
My entry pales in comparison with the above, but has sentimental meaning for my wife. This was part of the cedar bedroom suite that belonged to her mother, so I am making various gifts out of it. This was part of the bed post. After turning, i sanded to 600 and applied a finish of OB's Shine Juice. The halo is a piece of hard maple.
Angel_resized.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Had tried to make this for the wife last year. She got it but a week late. Never can seem to finish on time. It is worse now that I am retired.

German_nativity_finished_Dec_2017.jpg

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Wooden flowers from last year.

gifts - 1.jpg

gifts - 2.jpg

Salt and pepper mills for this year. Currently in the shop with the finish drying.
gifts - 3.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Our best friends loved this little music box when I made it a few years ago. I finally got around for making one for them last Christmas.
When you press down on the keys, it plays Greensleeves. Happy friends - happy life!

View attachment 29345

Showed this to dearly beloved. She said "Who can beat that?" Sounds like a challenge. I should be ready late January. :D

cskipper

Cathy
Art Deco Shadow Box pattern by Gabriel Schama.jpgSunburst Art Deco by Gabriel Schama IMGP1863 sm.jpg
The picture on the left is the Art Deco Shadow frame designed by Gabriel Schama. I cut four and made it into a starburst. They are loosely fitted into the frame on the right. The top of the frame can be easily detached and the owner can arrange the pieces in a different arrangement if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS