Stand for an Ancient Delta 24" Scroll Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Yesterday I was out in the shop tuning up the old Delta 24" scroll saw that my grandfather had in the shop when I was growing up. It's been sitting on a "table" made of a piece of plywood across a couple of sawhorses and I got to thinking I should make a stand for it. Most of the stands I've got are shop made from 2x4s and while they are serviceable, I wanted to do something a bit nicer this time. After some doodling, I came up with the design on the left. A friend of mine wanted to see the legs turned out at the bottom so a quick revision and I have the one on the right. I still like the one on the left so I thought I'd ask for some more opinions.

For reference, this thing isn't very big. About 28 in. tall and 20 in. wide.

I'm thinking white oak with a dark stain similar to a fumed finish. I plan to build a case to sit on the lower stretchers to hold the old cigar box of accessories and blades.

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Dave, how do you stand when using the saw? Would the legs part bulging out interfere with your knees? Where do you place your feet when sawing? I've never used a scroll saw so I don't have any experience.

Roy G

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Good question, Roy. I've always used the scroll saw while standing. Used it a lot when I was young. I added a bit of an overhang at the front and the scroll saw's table extends even farther forward so I could sit on a tall stool. I think there'll be plenty of clearance for knees.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dave, as always, I am so impressed with your skills with sketch-up...you are a master! As for the designs, I personally like the flared leg design (the one on the right), the one on the left reminds me of cartoon caricatures of bow-legged cowboys. That said, it your saw-stand, in your shop, I would make it based on your preference; I think both designs would be very serviceable.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Donn, your saw, your table, your shop - personally - I too like the one on the right - one note - those feet can't come to a sharp point. (at least they won't for long!)

I too appreciate your Sketch-up skills!

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate your opinions and compliments.

As for the feet, I did lop off the points on the one on the right. I figured they wouldn't last until the finish is dry. ;)

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I DO use a scroll saw a bit. The one on the right is for a scroll saw. The one of the left is for some other tool.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Why do you say that, Berta?

Keep in mind that I don't use a scroll saw for hours at a time and don't plan to be sitting at it.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
A scrollsaw is used to make art. If you are going to build a stand for it, it needs to be beautiful.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Dave, I won’t argue with Berta, but I actually like both/either of the ones on the right:)

Hopefully you’ll share photos of the completed stand.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The majority of scroller prefer the table tilted forward. How much is a personal preference. So if you are going to build it find your tilt angle and make the back legs longer or better yet adjustable.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Interesting point, Scott. Thanks for that. If I make it so the top is tilted, I expect I would make the top adjustable because I have no idea how much tilt I'd want. I don't see sitting at this thing for long periods of time. I just don't use the scroll saw that way but who knows?

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
As Bob Vaughn pointed out to me - be careful tiliting a Delta 24" scroll saw - it has an oil bath/sump

Rick

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
As Bob Vaughn pointed out to me - be careful tiliting a Delta 24" scroll saw - it has an oil bath/sump

Rick

Oh, yeah! I know about that. Or you can ask my brother. He hauled it in the trunk of his car from our father's shop to his shop and it tipped over. What a mess!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting point, Scott. Thanks for that. If I make it so the top is tilted, I expect I would make the top adjustable because I have no idea how much tilt I'd want. I don't see sitting at this thing for long periods of time. I just don't use the scroll saw that way but who knows?

Dave you might have a marketable idea. All the commercial stands I have ever seen accomplish the tilt by allowing the user to extend the back legs. This requires time and tools so it can not be accomplished on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS