iBox Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: Dovetails

Yeah, my iBox is not working well at all, but the problem is me, not the jig. Maybe this weekend I'll take another run at it. The Router Boss looks like a great tool.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User

Probably shouldn't have posted but I was pleased that I got such a nice joint for my first test cut in so many years. I showed my wife but she just rolled her eyes. I figured only other woodworkers would get it. ;)

Glad you posted. I enjoy seeing different ways of doing things.....

Jeff

New User
Jeff

That's a nifty multi-purpose setup for dovetails, tenons, mortises and lots of other joinery, but not cheap to get started. Recommended Dewalt 625 plunge router ($300), standard Router Boss model 420 ($829), Router Boss long shank 1/2" router bits ($80-90), accessories etc.

Interesting videos from several sources too.

Why haven't you used it in several years?

Last edited:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

Takes me at least an hour to setup my 1995 Woodrat after a long layoff, but after that I can rip 'em out all day. People who don't have these machines really can't understand what we're talking about! I always cut 2 tailboards at the same time too,

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Yeah, my iBox is not working well at all, but the problem is me, not the jig. Maybe this weekend I'll take another run at it. The Router Boss looks like a great tool.

Mike, If you want to come over and try my iBox or bring yours over and we can see what is wrong. I have mine setup on my router table with a 1/4 straight bit, hopefully your setup matches. If you want just setup a time on Sunday afternoon - an hour should be sufficient

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

Mike, If you want to come over and try my iBox or bring yours over and we can see what is wrong. I have mine setup on my router table with a 1/4 straight bit, hopefully your setup matches. If you want just setup a time on Sunday afternoon - an hour should be sufficient
Phil, I think I'm available. What time? Thanks for the offer! I really do want to be able to use this one.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member

This thread motivates me to stick with my chisels. The machines look so COOL and the YouTube videos make them look so EASY. They call to me. "Spend big $$ and all your dovetail problems will be solved!"

It's all lie.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

Let us know what you found out from Phil about your i-Box.
What I didn't find out is that Phil is a consummate gentleman and an amazing woodworker. I already knew that. What I did find out is that I was measuring the "KISS" part from the wrong spot. (I think that's what the problem was.) Beyond that, Phil showed me how to measure the settings with calipers instead of using the manufacturer's recommendation, which makes a lot of sense. His method takes the guess work out of the setup. On top of that, I was using a 1/2" router bit that was not working well. He put in a 3/8" bit, and now everything seems to be working as it should.

Thanks, Phil!

Chris C

Chris
Senior User

This thread motivates me to stick with my chisels. The machines look so COOL and the YouTube videos make them look so EASY. They call to me. "Spend big $$ and all your dovetail problems will be solved!"

It's all lie.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS