Workshop Project: cutting gage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Here's a tool I have made that was designed by Steve Latta. I saw this in FWW years ago and then I met Steve at Colonial Williamsburg/FWW seminar. He had the gage and showed me the advantages of this tool. He had no reservations about making them for myself and others as long as I didn't market them on a large scale.

This is a great tool for many reasons. As soon as you set it up you will realize some of the benefits to a gage with a big fence that fits in your hand comfortably. If you look closely you will notice the one on the left is made for a lefty. If you don't bother to add the wear plates in brass to the tool, it remains interchangeable.

A while back, Kevin(Jazzflute) was selling this wood out of his truck at one of the Raleigh Lunch gatherings. I didn't know what to do with this tropical wood so I put it to work as tool stock. Any hardwood will work. Obviously.. there's one in maple.

Stanley_78_and_SL_gage_005.JPG

For those who want to strike out on their own the only part that is a little hard to find is the knurled set screw. You can find them at Rockler. I found the sheet brass at a scrap yard and I keep it around for my rifle patchbox projects.

Stanley_78_and_SL_gage_009.JPG

Stanley_78_and_SL_gage_008.JPG

Once you have the pieces shaped up and the soft brass filed you put the exacto blade in the end. I like this for the ease of replacement and cost. It leaves a great scribe line when marking across the grain for mortise and tenon work or dovetailing.

Stanley_78_and_SL_gage_007.JPG

With the wide fence and the sharp blade, it makes marking hard maple a breeze and you don't get the fuzz line you get from a pin.

DSC079911.JPG

Ok enough of the tool sales pitch. Maybe this could make for a workshop where you make a gage and take it home? My shop won't accomodate 6-8 bodies but maybe at another shop if there is enough interest? If only a couple have an interest, I could do it in my small shop.

1-snow_jan_2018_015.JPG

Here is the address for the edition of FWW. It say #189 pg 90

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/12/15/a-shopmade-slicing-gauge

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ahhhh, I feel so much cooler now! I'd say that would be a fun workshop.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
A while back I was planing a scratch stock workshop that just never happened. In preparation for that class I ordered 25 brass thumbscrews. They are 1/4-20 x about 1-1/4.

You can have them

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GREAT idea for a workshop!!!

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I agree, it's a great idea for a workshop. I have made a few of these and while they work, yours look so much better!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Got them. 23 brass inserts and 24 thumbscrews. FYI, the threaded portion of the thumbscrew is 1 inch

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Got them. 23 brass inserts and 24 thumbscrews. FYI, the threaded portion of the thumbscrew is 1 inch

Well Phil that makes it tough to ignore the opportunity to do a workshop or two. Bill Clemmons has offered his shop for use and I know your shop would be a good place around Raleigh so maybe a couple different locations to help with the travel?

I have some fairly thick brass for the rub plates and the small piece to hold the exacto blades. I don't have the strips for the adjustment bar. I'll start looking. Lots of small screws from McMaster Carr needed.

Stanley_78_and_SL_gage_007.JPG

Logistics seem to be well covered. I guess it comes down to a few tools. This is a good project to use up some of the fancy small cuts. I'll leave that till later.

Date: ? It seems like the weekends are best for members and hosts.

Cost: 30.00 to cover donation and materials

That's usual starting point and then we can narrow it down to specific dates.​

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Schedule permitting, I'm in too!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Depending on the date, I am interested

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Cost: 30.00 to cover donation and materials

Dan,

Do you mean $30 donation plus materials? When I did the small gage workshop all the brass strips and screws cost about $25 per gage. I see you already have some plate and Phil has some of the screws but you probably still need about $10-15 each?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Dan,

Do you mean $30 donation plus materials? When I did the small gage workshop all the brass strips and screws cost about $25 per gage. I see you already have some plate and Phil has some of the screws but you probably still need about $10-15 each?

Mike
I was thinking this would be a good 30.00 day. If it works out that 15 dollars covers the materials then it would be 15 to the NCWW bank. If 6 or 8 guys get together and it results in the funds growing either 90 or 120 dollars that seems fair to me.

The preparation for this is not too much and transporting the materials is easy.

I only insist on a deposit for classes I do so folks don't say they are coming and drop the day before and then another person who wanted to come misses out. With a deposit it happens less.

I think this works??

Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS