NCWW Contest April-May 2018: Post Pictures of your best use of scraps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Have you got a project that you completed with nothing but scraps? Well let's see it! Show if off for a chance to win in this contest!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can I include those projects that turned into scraps - I have numerous

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
This is what I do with scraps.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 3A4EBAF0-F510-4AC2-BB6F-D7A48ECA8C27.jpeg
    3A4EBAF0-F510-4AC2-BB6F-D7A48ECA8C27.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 558
  • CD1DD966-3C61-4E9D-B828-86677484B719.jpeg
    CD1DD966-3C61-4E9D-B828-86677484B719.jpeg
    900.1 KB · Views: 555

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Berta, Very nice! There’s something to be said when somebody’s work just instantly makes you smile.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
View attachment 2018 Bargain Box Flyer Layout.pdf

Does this qualify for something great made out of scrap? Tons and tons of this material was making its way to landfills and we decided to turn it into a Bargain Box of sanding products that hobbyiest and DIY'ers all over the country could use! Remember in the stores, $1.50 a lb and you can pick and choose your favorite grit and sizes. BEST BARGAIN in WOODWORKING!!!!! 100K + of this material has made its way to garages and workshops all over USA! :icon_thum

Coleman

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Here is my contribution. My scrap pile is much larger than my completed project pile.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8884.jpg
    IMG_8884.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 413

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
attachment.php
This is my scrappy contribution I rescued from the burn pile

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    472.1 KB · Views: 328

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made several shelves using 1x8 whitewood for my son-in-law a couple of years ago. I took the scraps and made a tower to hold different video game console systems using pocket screws.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180430_094635.jpg
    20180430_094635.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 328

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Recently a good friend of mine gave me access to a pallet load of oak furniture blanks. They measure 16.5 inches by 3 inch square. They were obtained from an Asheville furniture warehouse back in the early 90s and have been sitting in my buddies basement.

I have re-sawed them into various thicknesses and made some shop and gift items for family and friends,
attachment.php
This is a wine box with oak scraps on the sides and purple heart ends

attachment.php
This is a garden tool tote I made for a friend. All oak scraps.

attachment.php
This is a tool tote for a set of Lee Valley screw drivers. All oak scraps.

attachment.php
This is a silverware tote. All oak scraps.

attachment.php
A lazy susan mostly oak scraps with a couple pieces of scrap walnut and purple heart.

attachment.php
A shop tray. All oak scraps.

attachment.php
This a picture of one of the laminated oak blanks and some re-sawed pieces,

It was fun thinking up things to make out of this windfall and also an opportunity to practice hand cut dovetails. Thanks for looking.

Dan C.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Recently a good friend of mine gave me access to a pallet load of oak furniture blanks. They measure 16.5 inches by 3 inch square. They were obtained from an Asheville furniture warehouse back in the early 90s and have been sitting in my buddies basement.

I have re-sawed them into various thicknesses and made some shop and gift items for family and friends,
attachment.php
This is a wine box with oak scraps on the sides and purple heart ends

attachment.php
This is a garden tool tote I made for a friend. All oak scraps.

attachment.php
This is a tool tote for a set of Lee Valley screw drivers. All oak scraps.

attachment.php
This is a silverware tote. All oak scraps.

attachment.php
A lazy susan mostly oak scraps with a couple pieces of scrap walnut and purple heart.

attachment.php
A shop tray. All oak scraps.

attachment.php
This a picture of one of the laminated oak blanks and some re-sawed pieces,

It was fun thinking up things to make out of this windfall and also an opportunity to practice hand cut dovetails. Thanks for looking.

Dan C.

I guess Dan might win if there is a category for volume of projects where scraps are used! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JohnW

New User
John
This project was done with scraps and it's also an awesome example of the help and good friendship extended to me and others on the NCWW forum.

Back in 2008-2009 I asked for help from some NCWW turners, requesting 12 members each make a pen so I could put together a care package for my nephew who was stationed at Bragg. His 12 man Green Beret unit was to be deployed to Afghanistan and I wanted to gift each of them a pen made by North Carolina craftsmen. None of the team was from NC but they all trained here. I received 14 pens with offers to make many more. All pens were very well crafted and so beautiful I decided to make a box for each pen. I used sepele for the box sides, figured maple for the tops, poplar for the inside insert and red cedar for a grooved bottom. The sapele came from a member who had got it by dumpster diving at a local high end garage door manufacturer. I had dropped off a tool to him via NCWW pony express and he would not let me leave his shop until I accepted some of the scrap sapele. The maple top was scraps left over from my BIL who makes cello's, violas and violins. Poplar was left overs from a cabinet build and the cedar bottom removable pen holders were made from one of the small scrap bundles available at Steve Hall Lumber.

The pens along with a framed insignia, made by another NCWW scroller, were given to him and his team later that year during Thanksgiving dinner. There were tears involved as the gifts from NC members were greatly appreciated. As an end to the story, most of the pens/boxes were given away by his team to local leaders as part of their effort to develop relationships with the Afgan people. The insignia was hung next to the door to their barracks. When their deployment was done, they left it hanging in the barracks as it had became an important symbol to the special forces and part of their "décor". The advance rep from the team replacing my nephews team had requested that it stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS