Glue dispensers - UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

As I'm getting older, I find myself more annoyed with little things that probably shouldn't bother me. Today's complaint is about glue bottles - I hate them. I've tried many and they all are great at one thing - clogging at the tip. My last attempt at solving this problem was the Glu-Bot. It's actually a very nice bottle, even ingenious in some ways. But, despite Paul Aker's claims, it clogs just as well as all the others. So you soak it, prod it, curse at it, and threaten it, but all to no avail.

Has anybody out there found a glue bottle that really won't clog? Finding one is on my bucket list!

Ernie

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think Jay Bates uses mustard bottles...

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The key is an extra top, spout, whatever. That way you can soak the clogged one and use the clean one.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use the bottles the glue came in but I store them upside down. Just stick them tip down in one of the bench dog holes.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Extra tips and wipe some floor wax around the bottle threads. Lasts a long time and makes it easy.
My yellow glue sits for ages most of the time so getting the tips off easily is helpful.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am a clean fanatic - I wash the bottle tips when I clean up at the end of the day. That is just me - if I clean up and make ready for the next time I am in the shop, I don't have to worry about stopping to fix/clean/repair something that I should have taken care of while I am now working on something different.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I use the bottles the glue came in but I store them upside down. Just stick them tip down in one of the bench dog holes.

I sometimes store a bottle upside done in a container. If I shoved the bottle in a dog hole, Murphy would ensure the glue leaked out and messed everywhere.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Oh great! Now I have to go and buy a bench dog hole.:)

Does it have to be a Bench Dog brand hole Ernie? Or could use another brand or just a generic hole? Beginning woodworker wants to know? :wwink::gar-La;

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Oh great! Now I have to go and buy a bench dog hole.:)

A short length of 2x4 works just as well. You will still have to make (or buy) the hole though. ;)

You can pretty easily clean the dried glue out of the Glue Bot tip with a brad nail.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
A short length of 2x4 works just as well. You will still have to make (or buy) the hole though. ;)

I checked at my local Big Box store, but they said they were out of holes. I miss New York where I could go to the local HOLES store and get any kind of hole I wanted. For now, the best I could find are these. Looks like the glue has already clogged them up!

holes.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I checked at my local Big Box store, but they said they were out of holes. I miss New York where I could go to the local HOLES store and get any kind of hole I wanted. For now, the best I could find are these. Looks like the glue has already clogged them up!

holes.jpg

:rotflm:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Dollar store ketchup/mustard bottles with car, 3 for a dollar. works great when it gets too bad toss em.

Ed D

Ed
Senior User
^^^^^^^
What Skymaster said; I have been using them for years...keep the cap on and standing upright and they don't clog easily.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Pushing beyond the funny's in this thread and back on topic, I can honestly say, in 20 years of woodworking, I've never experienced this problem.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I sometimes store a bottle upside done in a container. If I shoved the bottle in a dog hole, Murphy would ensure the glue leaked out and messed everywhere.

DAMHIKT but glue accidental leaked on a concrete floor pops right off once dried.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Hi all,

As I'm getting older, I find myself more annoyed with little things that probably shouldn't bother me. Today's complaint is about glue bottles - I hate them. I've tried many and they all are great at one thing - clogging at the tip. My last attempt at solving this problem was the Glu-Bot. It's actually a very nice bottle, even ingenious in some ways. But, despite Paul Aker's claims, it clogs just as well as all the others. So you soak it, prod it, curse at it, and threaten it, but all to no avail.

Has anybody out there found a glue bottle that really won't clog? Finding one is on my bucket list!

Ernie

small peanut butter jar, cheap disposable paint brush

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks to all who responded. As I suspected, what I'm looking for doesn't exist. Perhaps it can't exist. Of course, I've tried most of the suggestions posted here, and use many of them. Perhaps I should come to grips with the fact that glue is sticky and will clog. Who would've thunk it?

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
You were shopping for the wrong item, although donut holes seem to be always on my shopping list I blame my dog.... You already have a workbench full of dog holes!!! You need to buy a dog hole emptier.... yours are all full. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS