Need a hand plane knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateh

New User
Nate
I am fixing up an old Craftsman hand plane (3cbb) I bought some time ago. It's currently missing the front knob. I would be happy buying one if anyone can easily make one - OR - since I'm still learning (and don't own a lathe), I'd love to come watch and learn some lathe stuff. I live in Apex, so if anyone does lathe work and doesn't mind letting me hang out for a few that'd be awesome!

On another note I need to track down a new screw for the knob as it doesn't have that either...any advice on that would be much appreciated.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Sounds like a quick trip over to Ed's Old Tool Store in Pittsboro (a really short drive from Apex) might be the best way to start. Ed has a ton of tools, but also has lots of parts and pieces. Chances are good he would have the needed hardware, and you might find some other tools you can't live without.

Bill

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Sounds like a quick trip over to Ed's Old Tool Store in Pittsboro (a really short drive from Apex) might be the best way to start. Ed has a ton of tools, but also has lots of parts and pieces. Chances are good he would have the needed hardware, and you might find some other tools you can't live without.

Bill

Good advice. I believe your's is an older Craftsman that was made by Miller's Falls for Sears. Finding a donor knob and screw could be difficult. But it should make a fine user when finished.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
There's a guy that sells knobs and totes that is usually at the MWTCA meet at the Ed Hobbs farm event in September. I think he's in South Carolina. I have a business card from him squirreled away somewhere in all my stuff. If I can find it I'll post his contact info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS