Building a router table....

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
My goodies from Rockler finally arrived a few days ago, and I had time to get into the project some tonight. I got the recess routed for the plate, and was pleased with how snug I got it to fit. I have to cut out the hole for the router and install the anchor and leveling screws.

Now for the question....

Is there a rule of thumb for where to put the miter slot relative to the bit?

I have a 36" miter track to recess in, and t-track sections to put in for the fence. Then I'll build a fence, and maybe even a cabinet for it to sit on.....:gar-Bi

Thanks,

Adam

my first miter track I put too far away from the plate the 2nd table I put the track 1" from the bottom of the plate but I put a piece of t track and a miter track..... just take in consideration feather board adjustment length so you you can adjust it enough for small stock....

thats my 2cents

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The miter gauge slot position needs to consider the miter gauge you will use in the slot. You can't set it so close to the bit that the miter gauge contacts the bit - the largest bit you would use with the miter gauge. You also don't want it real far away because it will not as effectively control the workpiece.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'm not a fan of miter slots in router table tops. Locking feather boards just spreads the miter track apart. I would rather have a piece of Tee Track for accessories. If I need a guided sled, I reference from from edge of table.

I'm not a fan of miter slots in router table tops. Locking feather boards just spreads the miter track apart. I would rather have a piece of Tee Track for accessories. If I need a guided sled, I reference from from edge of table.

I like the Reference from the fence that is if you are using one on that cut

and yea that is why I put t track before the miter slot

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Keep in mind that the slot, if you decide to cut it, can wait until later even after you've been using the router table for days, weeks even months!

The important cuts are the INSERT and the fence slots, if you intend to make them. My very first table fence 'grabbed' the edge of the table. The next 3 used a bolt through slots. My next will 'grab' the edges.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
My very first table fence 'grabbed' the edge of the table. The next 3 used a bolt through slots. My next will 'grab' the edges.

Joe - what advantage have you found for the edge-grabbing design?? I've done both and, so far, have seen no particular advantage either way.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Chris,
My bolt and track fences have all eventually crimped the track, so that the fence has developed positional memory. My first RT (late 60s) used a (if memory is correct) 2" rubber faced pad that clamped on the underside of the table. Another plus, was it was easy on/off.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I have t-track to use for fence adjustment. I also have a longer piece to run across the table in front of the insert plate. I may hold off on the miter track, or I may just go ahead and install the miter track and t-track sid by side. Hopefully I can make some progress tomorrow and post a few pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS