Finished Coffee Table...5 years in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
I finally finished my coffee table today. I started building it over 5 years ago...and stole the concept from an Ikea coffee table. It took me so long, because once I built the panels and the tops I didn't want to continue because I was afraid I would mess it up.

Well, the past 6 months I've finally worked up the courage to finish it...and get it out of my shop!

It's made of red oak boards, and has either beech or birch plywood inlay...honestly I can't remember which at this point. I bought all the wood at Lowes.

The top and bottom shelf are red oak boards biscuit jointed together. The panels I used a dado to make a notch for the ply to slide into. The wood was all stained with Minwax oil based stain, and finished with Minwax oil based polyurethane. The table top has 5ish coats of poly, the inside of the box has 2 and the rest has 3.

Overall it turned out pretty well, I learned alot while making it. The hardest part was getting the holes for the alignment pins aligned properly. The leaf does not fit as well as I'd like, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Ok, here are the pictures:

Here is one of the plans I make in google sketchup, almost a year ago to the day...funny....

leaf2.jpg

Table closed, no leaf inserted:
IMG_27572.JPG

Table open, no leaf inserted:
IMG_27601.JPG

Looking inside the storage box:
IMG_27611.JPG

Table with leaf inserted:
IMG_27621.JPG

Leaf storage brackets (I made a post asking for suggestions not too long ago):
IMG_27631.JPG

T

toolferone

Very nice looking table! Where does the leaf store when not in use?

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Table looks great,like the leaf storage.I have a couple them couple year old projects in the garage.
Tony

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Jeff, that came out nice. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap I've got some stuff almost that old that need to be finished as well......:tongue2:

Brian.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Pretty work!

I've been planning dining chairs for a table I finished two years ago. Your success after a "waiting period" gives me hope that I can get it done one day. :gar-Bi

Chuck

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Awesome table and only 5 years :thumbs_up I have a chair I started in 1985 - it's somewhere out in the shop. Your encouraging me, hummm I wonder if I could find it :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS