Pipe Making??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Has anyone here made their own tobacco pipe. My brother enjoys pipes and I would like to start looking into making them and hopefully by next Christmas have a nice one to give him. Just curious if any of the fine folks here have any experience with it. I've found a few websites and am starting to learn from them but thought I might try here.

FlyingRon

Ron
I've got a pipe kit (essentially a block of briar and a stem) sitting on the shelf that I bought thinking I'd get around to it someday. There's tons of information out there on the internet and suppliers of stuff to do it.

I've got a couple of pipes that another woodworker made for me. One of which was made of Olive wood rather than regular briar. It's kind of cool. For the first few smokes you could definitely sense some olive oil notes to it. After it broke in it went away, but the pipe is pretty.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks Ron. I'm learning more about it and finding more resources about it. Do you happen to remember where you got your kit from. That's what I am going to do first is get a kit. Well actually I'm thinking about cutting up some 2/4's into blanks to practice drilling and shaping. This is probably going to expedite my building of a Disc sander from an old motor I have. I've wondered what else you can make pipes out of beside briar.

I've got a pipe kit (essentially a block of briar and a stem) sitting on the shelf that I bought thinking I'd get around to it someday. There's tons of information out there on the internet and suppliers of stuff to do it.

I've got a couple of pipes that another woodworker made for me. One of which was made of Olive wood rather than regular briar. It's kind of cool. For the first few smokes you could definitely sense some olive oil notes to it. After it broke in it went away, but the pipe is pretty.

FlyingRon

Ron
I got it off ebay so I don't recall exactly who. You can make pipes out of just about anything that can hold up to the heat and not give off objectionable odors at least until it is broken in. Most dense woods work as will the softer stones.

One of these days I got to get to work on it. Right after I finish the DC in the shop, and build a couple of tables that I promised my wife would be the next project.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I got it off ebay so I don't recall exactly who. You can make pipes out of just about anything that can hold up to the heat and not give off objectionable odors at least until it is broken in. Most dense woods work as will the softer stones.

One of these days I got to get to work on it. Right after I finish the DC in the shop, and build a couple of tables that I promised my wife would be the next project.

I know that feeling. :) I'll practice with some 2x4s for now I'm going to order a book on pipe making. I figured I've got a year before next Christmas should give me enough time to kill a few blocks of briar and hopefully come up with a good one.. :)

I'll check ebay and see what I can find.

Thanks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS