Funny how things work out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
It all started with me inviting myself over to Charlie's shop. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41755&highlight=shop+visitor I really enjoyed the time spent with Charlie and turning my first "round thing".:thumbs_up

Then I got lucky and won the ClearVue DC system, but it won't fit in my shop so I sold it.:icon_cheers So you guessed it, I'm in the market for a lathe. Guess I've fallen into the vortex.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

I've looked on Craigs list, but nothing there that interests me. My budget is around $1000 including "accessories". Anyone need to get rid of a spinny thing and maybe some tools?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My budget is around $1000 including "accessories". Anyone need to get rid of a spinny thing and maybe some tools?

The accessories will be what adds up. Help us out. What kinda turning you thinking about? Spindles, pens, bowls, etc.

Without knowing more I would say take the money and just get the lathe, grinder (slow speed preferred), sharpening jig, and chuck. Tools and assorted mandrels can be added as you go,

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
The accessories will be what adds up. Help us out. What kinda turning you thinking about? Spindles, pens, bowls, etc.

Without knowing more I would say take the money and just get the lathe, grinder (slow speed preferred), sharpening jig, and chuck. Tools and assorted mandrels can be added as you go,

Probably more bowls/vases than anything else.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
In that case save the $1000 and add that much to it. Unless you get lucky and find a great deal on a used lathe. For bowls you need mass, variable speed and a great chuck to start.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mike is right about mass and VS (IMO; some people do well with 3 or 4 speeds as long as at least one is really slow) and I would also add that you want whole numbers in front of HP. I have a 1/2 HP VS lathe, and while it has a 10.5" capacity, going over 6" is asking for trouble. It will want to move around if the weight is off (always is at first) and bog down when cutting. A chuck is a major convenience, but a lot of people start with a faceplate, gluing to a block and parting off. Hollowing systems are going to eat some cash if you get serious about vases.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I would say get the Delta 46-460, a Nova G3 chuck, a woodcraft grinder, wolverine grinding jig, some HF chisels and one Doug Thompson bowl gouge.

PS: have you sold the cyclone? If not I am interested.
Salem

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I would say get the Delta 46-460, a Nova G3 chuck, a woodcraft grinder, wolverine grinding jig, some HF chisels and one Doug Thompson bowl gouge.

Salem

Yea, sorry the cyclone is sold. I was actually looking at the Delta 46-460 online today.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Salem

Good list Salem put instead of the HR tools check out the ones that Packard sell..Their brand is good quality. For bowls a 1/2" bowl gouge and a diamond parting tool is all you need to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS