need to build horse run in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What do you recommend for the wood and does anybody have some cheap? I mean really cheap? :rotflm:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike, I've built two of them here on the farm from rough sawn SY pine with old utility poles for the posts.

I seem to recall that Jack up in Rolesville was offering pine recently at one heck of a great price too.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Will pine hold up very long? I don't want to rebuild it in 5 years.

Jeff, Cheap is a little bit more than free. I'm always willing to trade labor... Cash is in short supply until I get out from under the farm payments.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have some 10ft 1by6's, PT decking, and some odd lengths of 2by6's, if you do not mind cobbling it with other wood. FREE, including delivery.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Part of the trick with a structure for horses is not giving them any edges or outside corners to start chewing (cribbing) on. Anything built for a horse will last a lot longer if they can't get started cribbing on it.

- Ken.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike, I've got 10+ years on both of my run-in sheds and they still are solid. It doesn't hurt to pour some boric acid in the soil near the sides to keep the termites at bay.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
OK, thanks Scott. I'll get some pine 4/4 rough. There is a guy in Stokesdale that advertises cheap pine from time to time. I'll see if he has any now. Now for some posts, maybe 4x4 treated...

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike, 4 x 4 posts are going to be too weak. The problem is not that they won't support the structure; the problem is when a 1200 lb (or heavier) horse decides that it wants a "bun-rub" and it rubs it's backside against the side of the run-in (we used to have a pair of 2,400 lb draft horses... don't ask me how I know this....).

You need poles stout enough that they can will withstand the antics of the horses.

You ought to check with your local utility company, or their contractor (such as Mastec). Often times they will give you the poles for free. All you need is a post hole auger on the back of a tractor to plant them, and horses won't crib on them because of the creosote. And they will withstand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS