September 24 shop build *UPDATED WITH PICTURES*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just wondering if any of you fine folks would like to come over and help with the shop build. By then I should have it dried in and be ready for siding and trim. If that does not sound fun enough, there will always be inside electrical and dust collection to install. I will provide a great lunch and whatever beverages you like. I am in NE Raleigh and hopefully by then this tropical heat and humidity will be over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: September 24 shop build

Assuming no emergencies pop up, count me in!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

:icon_scra assuming i isnt workin........ prolly might! :wink_smil

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

I am scheduled to be at a carving class on the 24th. If that changes I will be there.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

I think I can make it. Nothing planned for that Saturday so far.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Phil,

Put me down as a definite maybe. I have a tentative morning appt in the crabtree area. IF that sticks I could be there around lunch time, if not possibly earlier.

Travis

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Phil, put me down for a definite "maybe" as well.

One question, will you need any additional air compressors, nail guns, levels, lasers, etc on the 24th?

Regards,

Scott

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Phil, put me down for a definite "maybe" as well.

One question, will you need any additional air compressors, nail guns, levels, lasers, etc on the 24th?

Regards,

Scott

Yeah, what he said.

Do you need any additional tools? I have a HF framing nail gun and a couple of boxes of nails I could bring. Compressor, air hose, drills, wire cutters/strippers, etc.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

Phil, I'm in....have you gotten the tree/stump removed yet?

Keep bumping the thread so the forgetful are reminded.

Yea...I'm talking about me!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

I don't know Phil. With all these people coming, you may need to build a bigger shop.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Wow What a great response. For all those who asked I most likely have all of the tools we need but if you have a special hammer or saw that works well for you, please bring it. As we get closer to the date I will have a better list of things to do and special tools that will make the job go easier.
I can not wait

Thanks

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User

Hey Phil,

I've got a race on the 24th, but if I can provide any help w/ engineering seals, permits, etc, just ask!

Good luck!

jdulaney

New User
John

If I can get transportation, I'm in. I'm down in Fayetteville.

I have electrical experience (used to have my NC license, but I let it lapse).

John.

P.S. Anyone want to give me a ride?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Phil, what type of siding? I have a coil nail gun that works pretty well on most siding.

Also have a milwaukee angle drill and the Greenlee forstner bits that work well for running wiring through studs.

How high are the eaves - will we need extra ladders, scaffolding, etc?

Scott

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Phil, what type of siding? I have a coil nail gun that works pretty well on most siding.

Also have a milwaukee angle drill and the Greenlee forstner bits that work well for running wiring through studs.

How high are the eaves - will we need extra ladders, scaffolding, etc?

Scott

Scott, The siding is James Hardie Sierra 8 vertical siding, similar to T1-11 that is on the main house. We will be using 4 x 10 sheets. This is fairly easy siding to work with - it cuts easy with an angle grinder and a diamond blade and I have two or three of these. This siding gets face nailed with 2" galv box nails. We can use a gun to install this but it takes a special gun for these nails and it has to have an exact depth adjustment as the head of the nails must not be below the siding surface. I think hand nailing will be the best way to install this given there will be less than 25 sheets to install. The only hard part about installing this siding is that it weighs 90+ lbs per sheet. That is why I invited all you young guys over.
The highest point at the gable peak will be about 20 feet and the eaves will range from 8 to 16. I have a far amount of ladders, but an extra 16' or 20' extension might be handy.

Electrical work will consist of running flex conduit through the walls between the 4x4 wall boxes and home runs back to the panel. The 3/4 flex requires a 1 1/8 hole so I will pick up a couple of good self-feed bits and I have a Milwaukee angle drive drill.

Still trying to figure out what I am going to get for lunch, sandwiches just is not going to make it for friends willing to help on a Saturday. My wife is a gourmet cook. While she can no longer cook, Joan will come up with a great lunch

Thanks and hope for good weather

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Scott, The siding is James Hardie Sierra 8 vertical siding, similar to T1-11 that is on the main house. We will be using 4 x 10 sheets. This is fairly easy siding to work with - it cuts easy with an angle grinder and a diamond blade and I have two or three of these. This siding gets face nailed with 2" galv box nails. We can use a gun to install this but it takes a special gun for these nails and it has to have an exact depth adjustment as the head of the nails must not be below the siding surface. I think hand nailing will be the best way to install this given there will be less than 25 sheets to install. The only hard part about installing this siding is that it weighs 90+ lbs per sheet. That is why I invited all you young guys over.
The highest point at the gable peak will be about 20 feet and the eaves will range from 8 to 16. I have a far amount of ladders, but an extra 16' or 20' extension might be handy.

Electrical work will consist of running flex conduit through the walls between the 4x4 wall boxes and home runs back to the panel. The 3/4 flex requires a 1 1/8 hole so I will pick up a couple of good self-feed bits and I have a Milwaukee angle drive drill.

Still trying to figure out what I am going to get for lunch, sandwiches just is not going to make it for friends willing to help on a Saturday. My wife is a gourmet cook. While she can no longer cook, Joan will come up with a great lunch

Thanks and hope for good weather

Phil,
I have a hardi plank blade for the skill saw you are welcome to use. much easier to control than a angle grinder.:icon_thum

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Phil, I have access to a scissor lift, which may come in handy for the sections under the gable. Is there room and flat enough ground next to the shop to take advantage of it?

I also have 8' and 12' step ladders, as well as a 22' extension ladder.

I'll bring the coil nailer - just in case (it has a pretty good adjustment on it). I'll have to see if I have any galvanized head coil nails to go with it.

I also have test gear to plug into outlets to verify voltage, proper wiring, ground faults, etc. that I can bring. Is your shop sub-panel hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS