Rocking and Separating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
This week I finished a rocker and a bench for some friends in Chicagoland. :eusa_danc Now I'm working on a Phil Thien Separator for my DC barrel! Finally! I hope this thing works as well as advertised!:dontknow: I know lots of you have built them. :wsmile:

Just need to run over to Tractor Supply and pick up some bolts and I can put her to use! I bought the fittings from Rockler and I like the way they just screw into each other.

QUESTION: Phil shows his center port to be just an opening in the top with no ell in the baffle area. Anyone used an ell in the center port as well as on the inlet? Just wondering. :notworthy:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Actually Reggie, I think it would diminish the cyclone effect by re-locating the 'center' of the spinning air (and debris) inside the barrel. But if it works; it works!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
It seems like having an ell in the outtake would move the end of the pipe closer to the outside edge of the barrel/separator. I would take it off and try it with just a straight down pipe and see how that works.

The ell on the infeed side is set up to get the dust/chips spinning so they will settle out and fall through the baffle. If you get the outlet to close to that stream of dust/chips, you may end up sucking them out before they have a chance to settle and fall.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Actually Reggie, I think it would diminish the cyclone effect by re-locating the 'center' of the spinning air (and debris) inside the barrel. But if it works; it works!

I've got it pointed in the opposite direction of the intake. We'll see! :dontknow:

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
I've got it pointed in the opposite direction of the intake. We'll see! :dontknow:

I'm building a second Thein separator for my trash can that fits 4" piping. I think facing the output port opposite the input port would direct the air and all of the shavings around and immediately out of the separator, defeating its purpose. I plan to have a vertical 4" pipe with a few inches going directly into the middle of the baffle. This is the same setup that I had with my smaller piping for my shop vac, but scaled larger.

.bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS