Honing stone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have a honing stone that measures about 3 x 7. I have been using it for my chisels for several years. I don't remember where I got it but I now wonder do I put oil on it for application or water? Does it matter or can I use it without either oil or water. It probably came from Lowes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You can test it by dropping a few drops of water on it. If the water stands up in little balls it is an oil stone. If the water quickly soaks in then it is a water stone.

Using the correct lubrication allows the little bits of ground off metal to float away from the stone instead of being trapped in it. It also prevents premature and/or uneven wear.

If it is an oil stone (most likely) then use a little light machine oil like 3-in-One or some mineral oil like you get at the drug store.

I say most likely because most of the big box stores carry low cost oil stones.

If you paid more than $50 for a 3x7 inch stone it may be diamond in which case you don't have to use any lubrication on it. Clean it with soapy water each time after you use it then dry it before you put it away.

BSHuff

New User
Brian
For the most part any sharpening stone from Lowes/Home Depot=Oil Stone. That is unless it is a diamond plate, but those don't look like stones.

I use olive oil or canola on my oil stones. I will use them to sharpen my kitchen knives, so I prefer that on my knives to who knows what is in the 3-in-one or other petro-oils. I just dry the stone after I am done to get the excess off.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
+1 for the mineral oil i.e. the kind for a baby's bottom. may be a little better for your skin/ health than a petrol-based oil.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
+1 for the mineral oil i.e. the kind for a baby's bottom. may be a little better for your skin/ health than a petrol-based oil.

Mineral oil is in the same family as petroleum jelly and paraffin. It is a by-product of the manufacture of gasoline.

Go

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mineral oil is generally safe for human contact and consumption and has been approved by the FDA in personal care and cosmetic products, as well as for an additive for food to 10 mg/kg of daily consumption.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thanks guys, I will test it this morning. Appreciate the help. I am still trying to sharpen and reassemble my three hand planes. I recently spotted another hand plane at a remote thrift store that I want to get my hands on. My husband says I don't need it but it has nothing to do with need, it is a want. One day I hope to be smart enough to use them constantly. Also, they look nice on display. Lorraine

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ok, I discovered that I do indeed have a oil stone. I visited with a friend this morning. He has the same stone as mine only larger. He keeps his in kerosine, says it sharpens better. Of course I can't keep kerosine in the shop. I found a diamond stone in an old hardware store for $30.00. Give me an opinion on that please. Is it that much better than the oil stone that I have? Thanks

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The only diamond stones I use are DMT brand. They last a lot longer than any others I have tried.

Get some mineral oil from the drug store for your stone, it is safe to use.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have some 600 grit sand paper that I have used to flatten the stone. Still has a small well in the center but I am working to get it out. I only use the flat section for my chisels and plane irons. I am still a work in progress when it comes to sharpening my tools and working with my hand planers. Scott, a neighbor of mine, has offered to give me a little hands on.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I have some 600 grit sand paper that I have used to flatten the stone. Still has a small well in the center but I am working to get it out. I only use the flat section for my chisels and plane irons. I am still a work in progress when it comes to sharpening my tools and working with my hand planers. Scott, a neighbor of mine, has offered to give me a little hands on.

It sounds like you're right on track with getting the stone in shape. :icon_thum

I mainly use two grits - 1000 grit and 8000 grit. I use a DMT diamond stone to flatten the stones but used sandpaper on a flat surface for a while and it works just fine.

Be forewarned - hand planes are very addictive and they multiply! And I agree with your other statement - "My husband says I don't need it but it has nothing to do with need, it is a want. " :gar-Bi

Chuck

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Chuck, I find that woodworking is addictive. I have been out of the shop for a couple of days and can't wait to get back in there. It is a challenge balancing the house and the shop but I seem to get it done. My husband turned his shop space over to me a few years back and comes in only when needed. His best friend has become the 54" tv. Ha Ha Lorraine

jhreed

New User
james
At the end of the day the shop will be much more productive and give a greater sense of accomplishment than the tv!

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
My husband gave me the shop and helped me add onto it about five years ago. He has since then started having health problems so the joy of being in the shop isn't there for him now. He now smiles with pride as each of my projects are completed. The tv is there to keep him company while the little woman in busy making sawdust. :gar-Bi The shop is very productive yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS