Delta contractor saw mobile base options

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I've got a Delta 36-982 contractor saw with 30" fence, router table extension and the stock integrated mobile base. While the saw can be moved somewhat easily I'd like to improve it some if possible. I'm mainly interested in extending the base out to include the outward support legs for the extension table so I don't have to lift it from the end to move it. I've seen the HTC HRD-10X unit but I'm not really fond of the price since I'm cheap (even the one on CL seems too high). :gar-Bi I've also seen the HF mobile, WoodRiver and Delta 50-345 mobile base kits (I like the Delta version better). If I buy one of these are they easy enough to modify/extend out to the support legs?

Is it possible to modify or move the existing lift wheel from the integrated base out to the legs? What have folks who have this saw done to overcome this hurdle on a low budget? Any pics to share?

Here's some pics of some of the options I've seen.

HTC
HTCHRD10X.jpeg

Delta
Delta50345.jpg

HF
HFMobile.jpg

WoodRiver
WoodRiver.jpg

TIA,
Brian.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
SCRAP PLYWOOD + 4 hf CASTERS [AT LEAST 2 LOCKING] AND SOME SCRAP 2X2 FOR SUPPORT. sorry cap locks.... build it on the cheap.:gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
SCRAP PLYWOOD + 4 hf CASTERS [AT LEAST 2 LOCKING] AND SOME SCRAP 2X2 FOR SUPPORT. sorry cap locks.... build it on the cheap.:gar-Bi
A majority of the machines in my shop were made mobile using this methodology (cheap) I used 2x4 supports and all 4 casters double locking. The only exception was the DP where I used the HF base where you add your own wooden crossmembers for a lower center of gravity. Pictures of my machines are in my gallery. :wsmile:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Fred, that is definitely an option. Was thinking maybe I could reuse the lift caster since it looks just like the one in the Delta kit, prob would just require longer bolts to go through what ever stock I end up with.

And, DUH..... just realized that I forgot the pic of what the integrated base looks like!! :BangHead::BangHead: My extension table is edged in tubbas and has tubba legs instead of metal legs like the pic.

Delta36982.jpg

Brian.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred, that is definitely an option. Was thinking maybe I could reuse the lift caster since it looks just like the one in the Delta kit, prob would just require longer bolts to go through what ever stock I end up with.

And, DUH..... just realized that I forgot the pic of what the integrated base looks like!! :BangHead::BangHead: My extension table is edged in tubbas and has tubba legs instead of metal legs like the pic.

Delta36982.jpg

Brian.

if ya do that you only need 2 HF casters.....:rotflm: I may have 2. hafta look

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've got a Delta 36-982 contractor saw with 30" fence, router table extension and the stock integrated mobile base. While the saw can be moved somewhat easily I'd like to improve it some if possible. I'm mainly interested in extending the base out to include the outward support legs for the extension table so I don't have to lift it from the end to move it.

Have you looked into getting an extension from Delta? I have a Delta CS with 30" fence as well - my mobile base is two pieces and includes an section that supports the extension legs. It works great. Mine is an older model (early 90s), but I would think this would still be available for newer models.

Chris

Don Alexander

New User
Don
because of space issues i removed the stock legs from my contractors saw and built a cabinet on double locking castors to mount the saw on helped with storage space and mobility in 1 fell swoop hehe :gar-Bi

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Jeff, nothing yet. I haven't had a chance to check if the rear wheels can be re-used or if I'd have to replace them. I'm certain I can reuse the front/lifting wheel so I just need to determine what I need for the rears and see what I've got on hand to attach them to. I guess if I go with a full length plywood bottom/base I could maybe squeeze in storage on there of some type. :eusa_thin

I'm so far behind on other stuff though that I'm sure I'll be in the "planning phase" for some time. Still looking for maybe some more suggestions or solutions that others have done on this model since I didn't have any luck with a Delta add on that would work on this model.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS