Inlay Banding for Turkey Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I know there is a lot of interest in making wood turkey calls for the wild turkey hunter. I have several friends doing this, and they have been after me to make an inlay with a turkey track in it. After several attempts, here is what I came up with... The primary wood is mahogany with ebony tracks; a maple and ebony outer stripes.
IMG_2003.JPG

nelsone

New User
Ed
Neet bqanding, but are they thinking of wraping the banding around the turkey call? Will it bend that much? If so, I know at least one turner that would be interested in some bandings.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
This stuff was designed for a box call which uses straight pieces about 10 - 12" long; however, it is pretty flexible. I have bent it (dry) around a 2-1/2" radius. I think most of the round calls are about 4" in diameter, so a little coaxing or wetting and it will make it. These are almost 1/16" (.050 - .060) thick. A thinner cut (maybe .030 - .040) would surely make a 2" radius, and wetting or steaming it would go even smaller. Matt...

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Matt,
It looks great, I would be interested in trying it on one of my pot calls. I will have to measure to see how long I will need it.

Jack

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Reggie,
It is getting the time of year when I put bowls on the back burner and calls start to be the main thing on my mind. I think Matt's inlay might just make a real nice call.
Jack

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Reggie,
It is getting the time of year when I put bowls on the back burner and calls start to be the main thing on my mind. I think Matt's inlay might just make a real nice call.
Jack

Couldn't agree more! Those gobblers will be "heating up" in just a couple months!

flyrod444

New User
Jack
This is my first try at using some of Matt's great inlay. I hope it does it justice. The pot only has one coat of finish on it so it will look a lot better when I get more coats on it. I had hoped to get this done earlier, but got hit with ton of calls to make and then last weeks snow keep me busy clearing all the falling trees out of my drive.
Jack

turkeytracks.jpg

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
This is my first try at using some of Matt's great inlay. I hope it does it justice. The pot only has one coat of finish on it so it will look a lot better when I get more coats on it. I had hoped to get this done earlier, but got hit with ton of calls to make and then last weeks snow keep me busy clearing all the falling trees out of my drive.
Jack

turkeytracks.jpg

Let me know when they're ready for sale! :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS