Delta 10" Miter Saw, Electic Brake Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Hey all-
I've got a Delta 10" compound miter saw that I purchased about 8 years ago or so. Lately the electric brake has been taking awhile to engage, and now sometimes it won't engage at all. Could this be the result of dust getting in a contact somewhere...or is it even repairable?

I'm pretty handy with electronics, small motors.

Thoughts?

Charles M

New User
Charles
Hey all-
I've got a Delta 10" compound miter saw that I purchased about 8 years ago or so. Lately the electric brake has been taking awhile to engage, and now sometimes it won't engage at all. Could this be the result of dust getting in a contact somewhere...or is it even repairable?

I'm pretty handy with electronics, small motors.

Thoughts?

I can't speak for the Delta, but on the miter saw we used to offer, carbon from the brushes could build up on the commutator and reduce the brake effect. This results from many, many short cuts. If you lower the head (or otherwise ensure the blade is not going to engage anything) and let the saw run for a minute or so it would revive the brake. Might want to try it. If it helps you might consider new brushes. The other cause was faulty switch.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
I know its not the blade being loose, b/c the motor is running and not spinning down..unless the electric brake has got to have the momentum from the weight of the blade spinning to make it engage??...but that sounds too complicated.

I open up the housing and check the brushes again(I had at least 5/8" left)...I recently pulled them out to check for wear...if I'd installed them upside down accidentally could that be a culprit?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Many of those brakes are controlled by a centrifugal switch. A lucky shot of compressed air will usually free it up.

Glennbear

Glenn
Many of those brakes are controlled by a centrifugal switch. A lucky shot of compressed air will usually free it up.

This was what I was going to suggest, it cured the problem with my miter saw brake. Since 99.9% of what we do creates mechanism clogging dust my first action when something goes awry is to reach for the blow gun. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS