Jointer Fence Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have Delta DJ-20 with a slightly warped fence.

Has anyone had something cast iron like that milled flat? What am I looking at for cost?

I was at Woodcraft yesterday (yup, made the trek to the big city) and took a look at the SC jointers. The 6" was fitted with one of their granite fences. Since they also make one for their 8" DJ-20 clone, I was thinking of either (1) just buying a replacement granite fence from SC, or going to the nearest granite supplier to see what it would cost for a suitable scrap. I would likely need them to put the 45 bevel in the bottom, but I think I could drill the mounting holes with a carbide bit in the drill press.

What do you guys think???

p.s. caught Papa Smurf window shopping at Woodcraft.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If memory serves me correct (and it may not), John White mentions straightening a fence in his book, "Care and Repair of Shop Machines." You could put an overlay on the fence, like the faces on a Bies. As for drilling the granite, you are most likely going to need a wet diamond bit. Drill holes over sized, and epoxy in an insert.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Long past warranty. I bought it second hand about 6 years ago.

Steel City attaches the granite with two small bolts countersunk through the granite face. It should not be too difficult with a diamond drill or two.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Long past warranty. I bought it second hand about 6 years ago.

Steel City attaches the granite with two small bolts countersunk through the granite face. It should not be too difficult with a diamond drill or two.

Just guesstimating it will cost $300 to $400 to get it ground flat and the closest place around is going to be Greensboro most likely. Reason I know this is I was checking on getting the top of my tablesaw flattened and no one in the area could do it. The height of the fence isn't bad, but the length will be the kicker.

When I had my DJ-20 it had too much flex in it IMO. I didn't really believe that it would flex from the reviews on Amazon, and when I got it, I was a bit shocked. It still did well, but it was kind of wierd to see it move that much.

Personally, I would check on the granite. :icon_thum

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Travis, I concur on the flex!

I talked to Steel City today - granite is only available for the 6" jointer. So it looks like I will need to start checking out the granite suppliers- to see what they have in scraps, what it will cost, and if they can put a bevel on one edge.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
There is a granite quarry in Mt. Airy near where I work. I get granite grit for my pigeons there. They might be able to help you out.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Alan, what is the approximate length, width and thickness of the fence? Is it relatively flat on the back side (or can it be milled flat w/o causing problems)?

If so, you may want to consider having it surface ground instead of milled.

Any competant machine shop should be able to do it.

JohnW

New User
John
Alan,

Just an idea....I have a fence (new, never used, still in the box) that came with an 8" Yorkcraft jointer. I have no idea if you can make it fit...but it's yours if you think you can use it.

John W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS