Have you ever turned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
wood so green that it slung water all the way across your shop?

I cut a walnut tree Saturday and turned a bowl on Sunday. I had to stop and wipe down everything in the path of the bowl and oil my table saw, drill press, all my turning tools, the band saw and even change shirts. Everything was sopping wet.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Yeah .. been there. I was turning some Maple "right from the chainsaw" and it virtually gave me a bath and coated everything with a fair amount of water. Being relatively new to turning, I thought that was the norm ... but it hasn't happened much since.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
yup! thats why my lathe isnt in the path of other tools. cuts like buddah!:rotflm:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I haven't yet, but I look forward to it! I can't imagine how easily that stuff turns!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
yep
it was a chunk of walnut as well
turned a vase (I guess you'd call it almost a pot as a 6" flower pot would fit nicely inside of it) with a stripe of white through it
it was also my introduction into warpage:gar-La;
flower pot never fit again- it never cracked and finished very nicely

suppose my ex has it as it has been m.i.a for many years now
kinda like the first bell (her mother always admired so much) I made from a piece of figured oak firewood...
who brought this up and why???:rotflm:
it's okay small prices to pay all in all

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
yep

suppose my ex has it as it has been m.i.a for many years now
kinda like the first bell (her mother always admired so much) I made from a piece of figured oak firewood...
who brought this up and why???:rotflm:
it's okay small prices to pay all in all

I don't know, but since you did.......I used to have a lot of things too, what she didn't burn or give away, disappeared. I got out with my skin and just enough to cover it.
You're right though, the reasons divorce is so expensive.... It's worth it.:BangHead::kamahlitu
:qleft7::qright5:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Nothing that large in my case. When I learned to use the skew, I followed some advice given me and cut a few fresh branches and turned mushrooms. They are easy to cut and when you get a catch (I had several) the spur tears out and spins freely. Anyway, I had the sorry lathe I used to have mounted where I could sit to do spindle turning and the strands would leave a rather embarassing pattern in my lap. :)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Sounds like fun to me, my shop is so cluttered right now that it could not make it to any iron:eek:

J

jeff...

wood so green that it slung water all the way across your shop?

I cut a walnut tree Saturday and turned a bowl on Sunday. I had to stop and wipe down everything in the path of the bowl and oil my table saw, drill press, all my turning tools, the band saw and even change shirts. Everything was sopping wet.

Mike now that's just plain nasty - Black walnut juice all over everything :tongue2:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I've heard of air dried, kiln dried, and even wood nuked in the microwave, but Mike, you are the first I have heard that put the wood on "Spin Cycle" to dry it out!!:wsmile::wsmile:

Go

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've heard of air dried, kiln dried, and even wood nuked in the microwave, but Mike, you are the first I have heard that put the wood on "Spin Cycle" to dry it out!!:wsmile::wsmile:

Go

Always on the BLEEDING edge, I am! :rotflm:

ghayes02

New User
Gary
I just turned a Red Bud that I cut yesterday about 3 oclock. It was slinging water about 4 or 5 ft. from the lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS