School Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeL

New User
George
Hi all,

Alex had a school project that I wanted to share with you. He made this video about pen making (with a twist). He shot and edited all the video himself, which was a rule of the project. Some of you may remember seeing Alex shooting video at Scott Smith's sawmill demo during the recent shop crawl, some of that footage is seen here. Sorry for the small size of the clip, the original is over 300 meg and 5 minutes long so we had to mega-compress it.

View in browser
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=26591&ppuser=2069

download link
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/The_Homework_Ultimatum_small.wmv

George

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
That is totally awesome! That is one talented young man! In more ways than one. That video, was creative, and instructional. I'm watching it again right after this. I love the part where he just gets fed up with his pen, and marches out to the shop...

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
George, you should very proud of that young man. He is talented in more than one area ( film making and woodworking). I was curious how the pen was going to turn out and when he finished turning it I was blown away by the pattern that he had achieved. I was impressed to say the least. BTW, nice shop too.

MIke

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Absolutely incredible!!! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum Way to go Alex! You get an A+ in my book. I am disappointed that I didn't get a mention in the credits, since I did do some lighting work for the film (I blocked out the sun with my girth in one shot) :wink_smil.

You da' man Alex!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK I'm stupid :5dunce: I am not able to get it to play for me. I keep getting a Windows Media Player error. How are y'all opening it???

Dave:)

JohnW

New User
John
Alex...Your editing is much better than many shows on TV....You did and excellent job on the pen as well.....but the film work was well beyond someone of your age.

Very nice work.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks George, this is what I am getting with both of the links - Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the required video codec is not installed on your computer.
I am sure it's an issue on my side :BangHead::BangHead:
Any suggestions??

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:gar-BiSTANDING O'S FOR ALEX!!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Alex, that is truly a great piece of work, both on the film and especially on the pen! Good on ya, son!!

:notworthy:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks George, this is what I am getting with both of the links - Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the required video codec is not installed on your computer.
Any suggestions??

Dave, make sure you have the latest version of media player. I have had that happen before, and an upgrade fixed the error.

GeorgeL

New User
George
Any suggestions??

Dave,

Do you know what version of Windows media Player you have? It may need to be updated, the video was created using the Windows Media 9 codec

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

Do you know what version of Windows media Player you have? It may need to be updated, the video was created using the Windows Media 9 codec

George

Yep the upgrade worked..I must have been runnin' 8-Track :eusa_doh:
That is an awesome video, really awesome. It is gonna blow away anything else. If Alex doesn't get an A+ on this something is wrong. From a technical aspect it's one of the best tutorials on a Celtic knot I've ever seen. I really hope you post it on the IPA, they would appreciate like nobody else.
I'm so proud of Alex, he's not my boy but seeing him develop in his pen turning has really warmed my soul.

Simply outstanding. And that's a great looking pen too :icon_thum:icon_thum

T

toolferone

I am about speechless here. I am so totally impressed:notworthy:!! The quality is through the roof. Move over Speilberg. Way to go ALEX :thumbs_up:icon_chee:thumbs_up:icon_chee:thumbs_up:icon_chee!! Please let us know how it does at school.

P.S. nice t-shirt too!!

I shall now retire from pen turning :BangHead:.

sawduster

New User
Robert
:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :elvis:

I am absolutely speechless !!!
How many hours does he have in the production ?
Top notch work !!

A+ for Young Master Alex !!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Absolutely awesome, Alex!!!! :eusa_clap Wonderful pen, very creative work done with the camera. Makes me want to go out buy a lathe and get some lessons from you.

tv

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Awesome work on the pen and the video. Simply amazing. Okay so please do a video tutorial on the Celtic knot. I have been thinking about trying one of those and this video will help but it would be awesome to see an explanation and with the video skills that you have plus you pen skills I know I would pay to have a copy of it, more money for college.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Awesome work on the pen and the video. Simply amazing. Okay so please do a video tutorial on the Celtic knot. I have been thinking about trying one of those and this video will help but it would be awesome to see an explanation and with the video skills that you have plus you pen skills I know I would pay to have a copy of it, more money for college.

I second that!!!!!!!!!!

GeorgeL

New User
George
WOW! I knew many of you would like this but I'm blown away by the responses. You see Alex has been into video and editing for much longer than he has been interested in pen turning. I see his work on a regular basis and have become accustomed to his work. With that said however, I must admit he exceed my wildest expectations with this project. Alex shot almost 2 hours of video, beginning on the Saturday of the shop crawl and then on two additional days in the shop. He shot nearly every second of every step of the making of this pen. His first rough edit was just over 22 minutes. The project rules limit a video to a maximum of 5 minutes. His finished product was 4 minutes 59.97 seconds. The rules also do not allow any other actors without written consent which is why the video of the saw mill demo was so edited. It's not that we couldn't get consent, we just didn't have the time.

This project was not for a grade but a nationwide contest in which a student can use art, photos, video, dance or music to express the word WOW! I think he nailed it!

As for making a video demo of making a Celtic know, I'm sure he would love to tackle that project.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS