Sewin' table beginin's...finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My wife has been pesterin' me about making her a new sewin' table for a while. She asked what I was making this weekend and I told her I had no specific plans. Well it was decided and I was commissioned to make her a new sewin' table. So here is the beginins of it.

Sewin_table_beginins_001.jpg

Sewin_table_beginins_004.jpg

Tomorrow it will get a Melamine top edged in the same slightly curly soft Maple I made the aprons out of, with a 1½" overhang.
This is a quickie project so I used pocket screws and glue for the joints. I will attach the edgin' to the Melamine sheet with biscuits. Quick and dirty, but the LOML is Happy with it already.
Thanks for lookin',

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
re: Sewin' table beginin's...finished

Looks like some good progress has been made so far. The wife will have something very nice to show off!

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member

Be carful I can see a stick running across the corner thats not at 90 deg.:rolf:

But really looks like you been busy making mama happy:icon_thum

And its looking good so far, keep us posted

dick541

New User
dick cunningham

Dave: are you giong to put a lift in? It is more work but it is a nice feature.
dick

J

jeff...

Dave is back doing angles again - I knew those elves would figure it out sooner or later :thumbs_up

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Dave: are you giong to put a lift in? It is more work but it is a nice feature.
dick

She currently has one with a lift and doesn't use it. She leaves the machines on top most of the time. So I will save the money and time and not go there :eusa_danc

I love a low maintenance woman :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Dave is back doing angles again - I knew those elves would figure it out sooner or later :thumbs_up

These are easy angles, just 45° with a little bit of tip cuttin'. The Elves could do that in their sleep...which judging by the fit they did :embaresse

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Nice progress, Dave!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Good choice of woods! You must have a really good selection in your stash.

Anxiously awaiting the end result.:wsmile:

Wayne

KC7CN

New User
Don

My wife has been pesterin' me about making her a new sewin' table for a while.....

You know Dave, this projects should be good for several NEW tools:gar-La;

-Don

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Will this new sewing table mean you can also commission a new set of Shop Curtains?

Nice work, and is there a better cause, I think not :)

Jim

T

toolferone

Aren't pocket screws great? Looks nice Dave. Are you doing a large round over so the material does not snag as it it pulled/pushed around?

Dutchman

New User
Buddy

Lookin good Dave! You ought to keep some notes on that project. That looks like it could be easily marketed to some of those sewing groups out there.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch

Looking Good there Dave. It has new tools written all over it.

Good call Tom! that's what makes this site so neat..the details that come up.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

I can't believe you made that much progress in a week! That is going to look absolutely great, can't go wrong with good wood. Unless you mess up the angles of course :)

Any thought on making the top removable? That melamine stuff is heavy, and an L-shaped is awkward to carry around. Plus, metal L brackets are even faster than biscuits!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Dave,

The table is looking great man! Can't wait to see it all finished. :icon_thum

Trent

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Aren't pocket screws great? Looks nice Dave. Are you doing a large round over so the material does not snag as it it pulled/pushed around?

Pocket screws are good, once you get a sharp drill bit. It seems the one that came with the jig from Woodcraft was duller than my wit. I couldn't understand why folks thought pocket screws were so fast as I had to apply all my weight (which is quite substantial) to drill the holes. Along came Papa Smurf, who offered me a try with a extra bit he had...that made all the difference.

I am doing a chamfer on the edging, because it easier to sand and maintain the profile.....should have the same effect.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

I can't believe you made that much progress in a week! That is going to look absolutely great, can't go wrong with good wood. Unless you mess up the angles of course :)

Any thought on making the top removable? That melamine stuff is heavy, and an L-shaped is awkward to carry around. Plus, metal L brackets are even faster than biscuits!

Bas, that's a days work :roll: The L shape is designed as two pieces. I learned long ago not to make something that I can't fit out of my shop door and not to make something that I can't move by myself. ( my wife is cute and little and has absolutely no upper body strength :eusa_doh:).
The top is removable if I want to back-out the pocket screws holding it in place. The biscuits are there to help hold the wood edging on the Melamine and to keep things flush while gluing.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

I can't believe you made that much progress in a week!

Bas, that's a days work :roll:

I meant weekEND. I could probably do that much in a week. Barely. Maybe. One day - maybe if I got up at 6.

Me getting up at 6. :rotflm:

my wife is cute and little and has absolutely no upper body strength
Sometimes, I think that's all an act. Pretty smart though. I still get phantom muscle aches when I look at my band saw.

Good to hear the whole design is modular. I may just have to have a 24 hour attack of WGD and get a pocket screw kit......

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK here it is with the top and finish applied and moved up into the living room -

Sewin_table_beginins_011.jpg

Sewin_table_beginins_009.jpg

And for y'all who appreciate all machinery...even the sewin' kind, here it is all junked up with the LOML sewing machines.

Sewin_table_beginins_013.jpg

Sewin_table_beginins_017.jpg

A Kenmore basic sewin' machine...all I could afford when we were dating. A Janome Memorycraft 9000 computerized embroidery machine from her Grandmother. A Imagine serger, and not shown, under the table is her ol' iron, a Singer ZigZag. She says it's so heavy that it sews the straightest.
Hmmm, sewing ain't too much unlike woodworking. A lot of expensive machines to do pretty much the same thing...cut wood or stitch fabric. No wonder I lover her. She has SGD (sewing girl disease).
Thanks for lookin' & respectfully submitted,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS