Corner cupboard progress--bottom door

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
I am making slow but sure progress on my corner cupboard. I am still working on the bottom cabinet; specifically, assembling the doors. I am trimming the tenons on the rail pieces to fit into the mortices on the stiles. I just raise the bench dogs about 1/4" and clamp the rail between them while pinching the shoulder. This picture shows the rail and trimmings.
IMAG0008.jpg

Here is a photo of the completed door (trial fit). The corner cupboard is walnut, but the door panels will be birdseye maple for contrast.

IMAG0007.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looking good Jim.

Very interesting piece there. What is the reason for the mortice inside the tenon?

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Looking good Jim.

Very interesting piece there. What is the reason for the mortice inside the tenon?

I am making this up as I go. I laid out the mortices about an inch from the end for strength. Didn't want *blow out* on the end and also wanted some room to trim the doors to fit. This meant that the inside tenon is flush with the bottom of the rail. That required a short mortice in the tenon to complete the panel groove.

It is a little more work than I expected, but this door will end up being *super strong*!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am making this up as I go. I laid out the mortices about an inch from the end for strength. Didn't want *blow out* on the end and also wanted some room to trim the doors to fit. This meant that the inside tenon is flush with the bottom of the rail. That required a short mortice in the tenon to complete the panel groove.

It is a little more work than I expected, but this door will end up being *super strong*!

Super strong is an understatement for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS