I ran the tires off the old Rockwell bandsaw two times the week before last while trying to get a blank ready to turn. Sprung for some urethane tires. Spun the wheels and realized the top bearings were noisy, the bottoms were in good shape. I spent today replacing the tires, bearings and aligning everything. The difference in the noise of the bandsaw running is remarkable.
And in my exuberance, I added a new Moffat lamp. Iturra Design has a mount for the light that fits in the OEM hole.
Thinking about painting the whole thing blue to match the War Eagle ('75) colored tires.
The bowl? Finishing is in progress. Pictures later.
When well tuned and with new bearings, that model saw is very quite as band saws go.
There's a point about the bearings you might want to consider - replacing the bottom bearings also. While feel and hand turning can't be an indicator of good bearings, it can be a way to tell if bearings are going bad. The problem comes when one considers that both the wheel and the pulley have to be removed to test the bottom shaft bearings. Maybe the pulley could stay, but the wheel has enough slow momentum to mask gritty bearings. Once the lower shaft is exposed, running your palm over the shaft to speed it will let you know real quick whether or not the lower bearings need replacing.
The backup bearings on the blade guide can also be a noise maker, particularly the bottom one. Those are 6200 size bearings regardless of saw vintage. Get sealed versions for the most durability. From Accurate, the Nachi brand should be about $4.00 each.
Thanks Bob. I replaced the saw guide bearings when I got the saw 3-4 years ago. They seem to still be smooth.
I thought about the lower bearings and decided not to change them at this time. I removed the flex belt and spun the wheel several times and heard/felt nothing. It's not that big of a challenge to get to. I pulled the lower (and upper) wheel(s) to put the tires on and it came off the arbor easily. I reinstalled both wheels with a little anti-seize on the shaft.
I also pulled both drive pulleys. They were installed with the set screw to the inside, a pain in the neck for the upper. they are now reversed so you can see (vice feel) where the set screws are located. And yes, I verified the set screws were on the key. The shaft turned smoothly with the wheel and pulley removed, or at least smooth enough that I didn't notice any issues. Put a little anti-seize on both those shafts as well.
Dearly beloved called during the smoke test after reassembly. I mentioned how quiet the saw was and held the Samsung Galaxy 6S up to the saw. She said that she couldn't hear it running.
Maybe an extreme approach but that's how we roll in ENC.