DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (65)
    Visit Freq
    4.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Looking for a good oscillating multi tool

I would love nothing more then to get a unit that will accept any and all blades, but to get a good tool I think you are at their mercy right now. My search continues then.
    Always be true to yourself as well as to others. N4RME HAM!

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (65)
    Visit Freq
    4.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Well, I just bit the bullet. Not the one I had planned on but it is half the price and allows for different blades and not just the Bosch Starlock blades. It says it is a discontinued model but that is because the new one has the dedicated blades and an LED light for an additional hundred. Here is the model I bought.
    Bosch mx30ec-31 multi-x 3.0 amp oscillating tool kit with 31 accessories. Got an additional $20 off for discount so I splurged the $9 for an additional 2 year warranty coverage.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Phil Soper (67)
    Visit Freq
    7.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have the Fein, great tool. Home Depot puts them on sale every so often.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (65)
    Visit Freq
    4.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I've always wanted a Fein and watched all the infomercials when they came on. I could not justify paying the high price for using it once a year if that. Now I am finding that IF I HAD ONE now, I could use it. I guess I was just wanting one enough I was looking for justification to buy it. I don't mind paying for a good quality tool, but I would like to have a use for said tool before I buy it. I guess at my age in my mind, if I want something, I am going to get it and that's it. I am just not a wasteful person especially when it comes to money so I do still struggle a little before a purchase.
    Appreciate everyone's input. It has been a big help in my decision to get the one I wanted.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Congratulations, Frank. This is one purchase I don't think you'll regret. I've used this site for blades with success:
    http://multifitblades.com

6. The following user says Thank You to redknife for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (65)
    Visit Freq
    4.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I just saved the sie to my favorites for when I need it! Thanks Chris.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jerry (56)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Henry W View Post
    Performance does depend on the blade.
    Quote Originally Posted by redknife View Post
    Congratulations, Frank. This is one purchase I don't think you'll regret. I've used this site for blades with success:
    http://multifitblades.com
    As with any cutting tool, the blade makes the most difference. I used a HF model with top notch blades for years, and it worked fine. Tried using my Sonicrafter with the blades it came with, and was disappointed. Have had good success with the Ryobi 18v and good blades.

Better blades=better performance.
    "Trials burn away the impurities in one's character & life that good times never do." Jefferson Ford

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dennis
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have a Fein corded and a DeWalt 20V cordless on the van. Wife bought the Fein for me some years back for Christmas. At the time I thought it would be useless to me, but It's become and American Express tool. I won't leave home without it...... Got the DeWalt because I decided to "invest" in 20V tools from them, having good success with their impact driver & drill. Both feature toolless blade changing and the ability to take other manufacturer's blades. The Fein has a loooooooooong cord, which is handy but awkward to put away. For limited use I will pull out the DeWalt. For extended use, the Fein. I can't imagine why anyone would make one of these tools with a 7 amp motor. Perhaps that was supposed to be 0.7 amps?

I agree 100% that the use of a proper (and sharp) blade is the key to any of these units. Don't scrimp on the blades. It's like the guy told me when impact drills and bits came out. I said his system was too expensive. His reply was, "You're not buying drills and bits, you're buying holes....."
    Something to think about.....
    WHAT BOX?

10. The following user says Thank You to Gotcha6 for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Bruce
    Visit Freq
    6.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I've worn out two HF's (10+ years) and now have my third. My son rescued a Fein from a dumpster on a job site, which he gave me. It's hasn't seen any use as the HF's have gone above and beyond the call of duty. If somebody steals them from job site, so what. I buy bi-metal blades at Northern, using monthly $5 off $15 coupons.

Director of Outreach Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dirk (62)
    Visit Freq
    6.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Sorry to hear Frank. I bought the Harbor frieght for one job and its lasted about 4 jobs and still runs. I guess I got one made on Wed

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Ed
    Visit Freq
    1.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I’m surprised that the FEIN MultiMaster gets few mentions. I’ve had mine for20+ years. I use it far less than I expected to, but when I do, I’m reminded of how well made it is. The oscillating action is amazingly effective, while the vibration is somehow isolated from your hand. There is a considerable difference between it and the admittedly less-costly alternatives that I’ve had the occasion to use. I have not used the Bosch, which based on my other Bosch tools, is probably an excellent execution of the concept.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I bought a Fein multimaster MM 350 QSL and am very happy with it. For me it was a close match between the Bosch and the Fein, but the soft start and longer cord on the Fein won. That said, I bought Bosch blades to go with it, and have been very happy with the way they hold up and are stiff enough to not wander in the cut. Beings this was my first multitool, and I didn't have a bunch of blades, I went with the Starlock, which is very quick and easy for the blade changes. For someone with a lot of blades, that may not be a good option, though, because the Fein Starlock model is not backward compatible with the older blades.

Frank, I think you made a very good choice.

Go
    Practicing at practical woodworking

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (45)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Gofor View Post
    I bought a Fein multimaster MM 350 QSL and am very happy with it. For me it was a close match between the Bosch and the Fein, but the soft start and longer cord on the Fein won. That said, I bought Bosch blades to go with it, and have been very happy with the way they hold up and are stiff enough to not wander in the cut. Beings this was my first multitool, and I didn't have a bunch of blades, I went with the Starlock, which is very quick and easy for the blade changes. For someone with a lot of blades, that may not be a good option, though, because the Fein Starlock model is not backward compatible with the older blades.

Frank, I think you made a very good choice.

Go
    I have an older pre-starlock Fein MultiMaster. Out of curiousity, what have they done that simplifies the blade changes as with my MM you simply flip a lever on top, pull the through bolt out, slip the bolt through a new blade, then reinsert the bolt and flip the top lever back down? I am wondering what has changed that would make that quicker or easier or is the Starlock just a more universal cross-brand compatible thing?

I know I have a Bosch adapter that also allows me to use Bosch and Dremel brand blades as Bosch was giving those away some years back (though I mostly use the Fein brand accessories as they seem to have very good life despite their cost and I am not a heavy user so I do not exactly burn through them), but I am very curious as to what exactly is gained with Starlock versus the older design.

But I very much love the MultiMaster as it is a tool much like a Dremel in that there are countless odd jobs that only it does well and when you need it there often are not many other good alternatives, so it is the sort of tool that can get one out of a lot of binds. I also love how little vibration it produces and often use the triangular detail sanding attachment with mine for getting into corners of projects as well as several of the blade attachments quite regularly. I do suggest buying the kit version that includes a case for the MM and accessories as it keeps everything neatly together in one place.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

With the starlock, you don't have to pull a bolt out. When you flip the lever, the blade falls off. Just press to install a different blade or to re-orient the one you are using. Supposedly with the starlock, there is a more positive mating between the blade and the tool, so there is less energy transfer loss to the blade.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...-system/20349/ has a short video showing the starlock system on a Bosch. It was a joint development project between Bosch and Fein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A78HDzoq2M this one shows it on the Fein that I have.

Go

17. The following user says Thank You to Gofor for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Just some added info for anyone contemplating using a multi tool on porcelain tile:

For the project I was doing, I had planned to cut some 3/8" thick porcelain tile. When looking for the right blades, I came across the carbide grout removal blades and diamond blades. Could not find a diamond one made by Fein, but did find one for the Starlock system made by Bosch. Its pricey, but it lived up to the Bosch reputation, and I was able to make a very smooth straight cut in the tile using a windex bottle filled with water to spritz on it for cooling. Almost no dust with this method, but it is very time consuming (approx 10 minutes to cut one 4" by 3/8" thick tile).

The carbide grout blade will not cut the porcelain tile (tried it and quickly wore through the grit in one spot on the blade while barely scoring the tile), but does work very well for grout removal which ended up being of more use to me on this project. (After doing the test cuts on spare pieces of tile, went another route, LOL)

Bottom line, for a small area, the multitool with a diamond blade is a good option to consider when doing some rehab or changing appliances/plumbing on a tiled area.

Go