DQ
    Nickname
    John (63)
    Visit Freq
    5.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: OWWM Scroll Saw Question

Well, discovered the 4 sheave pulley was on backwards. Turned it around and the 1/2" threaded shaft extended out as it was supposed to do. But now the drive belt is too short. My FIL, God rest his soul, must have rigged it so his short belt would fit. So instead of buying a new belt, he rearranged the sheaves so that only ONE SPEED could be used, but it was the proper distance for his belt.

I adjusted the motor as far as it would go but the belt is still too tight and causes too much vibration. With proper tension there is virtually no vibration. I'll try a link belt, if it fits in the sheaves, and see if that works.

I hear you Pops about this being a jig saw. Instructions say this is also a good jig saw and you can swing the upper arm out of the way for more access if needed. Also makes for a nice detail sander with jig saw style sanding sticks.

Last night, I turned the sheave backwards, FIL style, installed a standard 5" scroll blade, and used it to cut out the tight turns on five "band saw reindeer". Used 7/8" thick cherry and it worked very well. Between the antlers the diameter is about the size of a nickle. No blade breakage yet but I'm sure that will happen. Just hope my hand stays steady and pants stay dry when it does.

2. The following 2 users say Thank You to JohnW :

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Phil Ashley (41)
    Visit Freq
    2.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: OWWM Scroll Saw Question

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Well, discovered the 4 sheave pulley was on backwards. Turned it around and the 1/2" threaded shaft extended out as it was supposed to do. But now the drive belt is too short. My FIL, God rest his soul, must have rigged it so his short belt would fit. So instead of buying a new belt, he rearranged the sheaves so that only ONE SPEED could be used, but it was the proper distance for his belt.
    Nice. Git 'r Done!!