Special Events in the next 30 days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nickname
    Update your profile with your name
    Visit Freq
    0.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If You Are Knowledgeable About LP Gas.......

.....then I would like some advice. When I bought the house I live in now there was a 110 g tank already hooked up. We took out the gas fireplace and only use LP for cook top so use very little gas. I have had a running battle with gas company about using so little. They want an outrageous rental to keep the tank since I need so little gas but they don't have any smaller tank. I am thinking I could buy a 100 lb tank at the BORG and get rid of the 110 tank. After reading a bit of somewhat confusing info it seems I could buy a low pressure regulator for the new tank and make the switch. But clearly I want the new set up to be safe so I am hesitant to proceed. Just wondering if anyone has done this and can offer some advice. I am tired of the ongoing controversy with the gas company. I have paid in rental 3x the cost of a tank. I understand their view that if my tank was in another location they would be selling more gas & make more money. I have pointed out that it is likely they have tanks sitting around in storage not making any money for them.

If you have some advice I will appreciate it.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: If You Are Knowledgeable About LP Gas.......

Quote Originally Posted by mike_wood View Post
    .....then I would like some advice. When I bought the house I live in now there was a 110 g tank already hooked up. We took out the gas fireplace and only use LP for cook top so use very little gas. I have had a running battle with gas company about using so little. They want an outrageous rental to keep the tank since I need so little gas but they don't have any smaller tank. I am thinking I could buy a 100 lb tank at the BORG and get rid of the 110 tank. After reading a bit of somewhat confusing info it seems I could buy a low pressure regulator for the new tank and make the switch. But clearly I want the new set up to be safe so I am hesitant to proceed. Just wondering if anyone has done this and can offer some advice. I am tired of the ongoing controversy with the gas company. I have paid in rental 3x the cost of a tank. I understand their view that if my tank was in another location they would be selling more gas & make more money. I have pointed out that it is likely they have tanks sitting around in storage not making any money for them.

If you have some advice I will appreciate it.
    I guess natural gas is out of the question?

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bill (69)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If I were in Pittsboro, I would go over to Siler City and talk to Chip Price at Southern States Cooperative. They may be able to work w/ your current provider to swap ownership of your tank and give you a better deal.

Just a thought.
    I'll gladly tell you how I do something. Just please don't confuse that with the right way to do it, and almost certainly not the only way.

Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Propane companies in general are weird in NC - they rake people over the coals (no pun intended). I personally think it might be wise to consider purchasing two smaller tanks which are easier to manage (move around) than 1 larger one. Hook up one tank and have the other on standby when when the other runs dry. Then you can take the empty one to the propane dealer of your choice and have it filled. We do this same thing with a propane heater on our porch. I own the tanks, heater, lines, the whole shooting match... When one tank run dry, i put it in the back of my truck and take it two the gas company and have it filled, bring back home and store in the shop until the other one runs dry. That way I pay no rental fee, no delivery fee - only for the gas that goes into my tank.
    Last edited by CrealBilly; 01-11-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Proud to be a Deplorable Common Redneck, doing his part to Make American Great Again #MAGA

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Gonzalo
    Visit Freq
    2.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Back when I lived near Roxboro, we bought our tank at Lowes and had the local gas company come and fill it up. It may be slightly more expensive, but if you want to hassle with taking the tank to your local dealer when it is empty and doing it yourself, I would recommend two smaller tanks as has already been mentioned.
    Gonzalo

Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by CrealBilly View Post
    Propane companies in general are weird in NC - they rake people over the coals (no pun intended). I personally think it might be wise to consider purchasing two smaller tanks which are easier to manage (move around) than 1 larger one. Hook up one tank and have the other on standby when when the other runs dry. Then you can take the empty one to the propane dealer of your choice and have it filled. We do this same thing with a propane heater on our porch. I own the tanks, heater, lines, the whole shooting match... When one tank run dry, i put it in the back of my truck and take it two the gas company and have it filled, bring back home and store in the shop until the other one runs dry. That way I pay no rental fee, no delivery few - only forbthe gas that goes into my tank.
    Eventhough i have a 500 gallon propane tank out back to run the house (hot water, stove, furnace). There were two reasons i did this.

1) At the time, the cost of soft copper pipe and fittings to tie into the 500 gallon tank cost more than buying two porpane tanks and a 15' rubber hose with built in regulator.

2) All our propane appliances also require electricity to operate. But my blue flame propane heater does not. So if we ever loose power in the winter - the wife and I could hunker down and stay warm on the porch. Which hasn't happened yet, but its good to factor in a emergency "system" into your design just in case. Heat may not be so important in NC but here in southern IL it can be life threatening.
    Proud to be a Deplorable Common Redneck, doing his part to Make American Great Again #MAGA

User
    Nickname
    Bruce
    Visit Freq
    5.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Mike, I have FOUR 100# cylinders here that we use two per year at the fair. You are welcome to borrow two and see if it works for you before purchasing tanks. You should get a switch over valve between the two tanks. When one tank is empty, you just switch to other. You aren't standing in the rain making connections. Agisupply in Garner is my go to source for LP regulators. If you have an old grill that has single hose regulator, with proper fittings this will work. I will send you a PM with phone #, give me a Call

Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by junquecol View Post
    Mike, I have FOUR 100# cylinders here that we use two per year at the fair. You are welcome to borrow two and see if it works for you before purchasing tanks. You should get a switch over valve between the two tanks. When one tank is empty, you just switch to other. You aren't standing in the rain making connections. Agisupply in Garner is my go to source for LP regulators. If you have an old grill that has single hose regulator, with proper fittings this will work. I will send you a PM with phone #, give me a Call
    Bruce is a cool guy

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have a 500 gallon tank buried in the back yard that belongs to the gas company but I do not pay a lease for it at all. I run the stove, fireplace, hot water heater and house back up heat on LP. I was told if I do not use enough gas that they will charge me a lease fee each year and I responded back with "take the take out of the ground and keep it or sell me the tank outright and I will be free to buy gas anywhere the prices are cheaper at that time". Management told me I was a loyal customer for 16 years now and did not have to worry about buying or leasing the tank. I guess they were worried that I would pull out and go where the gas was cheaper then they are. I would have no problem going elsewhere for the savings. Only problem if you buy your own tank is if something goes wrong, you are responsible for the repairs and recovery of any lost gas. My neighbor half mile up the road decided to buy his tank outright and exactly 3 weeks later he had to call the gas company to come out and make a repair on a pressure relief valve that went bad and leaked out a bunch of propane on him. He got charged for the part, cost of the repairman coming out to the house and also the loss of whatever amount of LP leaked out.
    Always be true to yourself as well as to others. N4RME HAM!

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I use enough propane out of the large tank (think it is 300 or 500 gallons) that I don't get charged rent for it. There are two 75 gallon tanks on the other side of the house that run the gas fireplace logs. We don't use them except in emergencies so we do end up getting charged a minor amount for rent each year for those tanks. It's peace of mind since the last time we needed them it was an ice storm that knocked out power for 7 days - that was the only heat we had in the house - in the great room and we opened the door to the loft and slept up there - heat rises. Wasn't ideal, but we survived fairly comfortably. Just put the stuff from the fridge on the back porch.

LP prices have fluctuated greatly here. When we had to replace the heat pump 12 years ago it was $1/gallon so we went with a gas pack central unit. Now we're back with a high efficiency heat pump after LP went to $4/gallon a few years ago. Natural gas is much cheaper if its available to you. LP tends to follow the price of gasoline - when it is high, LP is high.

Not sure I've provided anything useful to you Mike, but just sharing some personal experiences with LP. There was a thread here a few years back about an LP Gas Coop that had a lot of useful information at the time. Maybe someone else remembers it better than I do.
    Ban shredded cheese, make America grate again.

"May the grain be with you" - Roy Underhill

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

We've had a 500 gal above ground tank since 1989 through Carolane Propane and we don't fiddle-faddle with who is cheaper this week and who'll be cheaper next week. Life is too short to fiddle-faddle with this trivial stuff month in and month out while spending a week on the telephone with the flavor of the week suppliers.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    We've had a 500 gal above ground tank since 1989 through Carolane Propane and we don't fiddle-faddle with who is cheaper this week and who'll be cheaper next week. Life is too short to fiddle-faddle with this trivial stuff month in and month out while spending a week on the telephone with the flavor of the week suppliers.
    A couple quick calls can save you over $300 on one fill up! I have a contract so I don't make those calls. I am on a twice a year delivery.
    Always be true to yourself as well as to others. N4RME HAM!

User
    Nickname
    Bruce
    Visit Freq
    5.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Currently on RDU CL is a 100# tank, half full for $100. It's around $70 to fill a 100# pound tank, so it makes tank cost $60 instead of $100. Best deal I ever hit was a FULL 100# tank for $65. Seller was going thru a divorce/ foreclosure, and needed tank gone that day. Left his money in dryer vent as per instructions.

Staff Advisor
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Joe (74)
    Visit Freq
    6.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Own your tank and then you can shop suppliers.
    Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

15. The following user says Thank You to Joe Scharle for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Shawn
    Visit Freq
    0.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I worked several years of a a gas company here and had lots of people switch over to the 100 pound tanks, not a big deal to change over, unscrew the larger regulator off the line, screw on the correct one for the 100 pound tanks and hook up, your good to go. I also suggest the 2 tanks but I would say hook them together with a t that has inline check valve, you run one than when its out just go out and turn 2 valves your back going, the check valve also lets ya take one to be refilled while still using the other. If you were closed I would say I could come help ya with it. The companies here normally change anywhere from 150-300 bucks a year reand on the 100 gallon tanks.