Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Banner Ad 1)

Special Events in the next 30 days

User
    Nickname
    Joe
    Visit Freq:
    0.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Fasteners and screws

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so if it should be elsewhere let me know. I've read that a lot of woodworkers use McFeely's for their screw/fastener needs. I like their variety, but the prices leave a lot to be desired. I've used Walmart screws, those cheap ones at Lowe's that always seem to break, drywall screws (good price but broken heads in maple), and my big box favorite Spax... Each with their own glaring defects, Spax screws are in the cost bracket of McFeely's and a variety of sizes, which is all but required, can cost you your first born child. I've found a better supply with a better price, my local family-owned hardware store. Guy C. Wiggins hardware in Richlands sells torx head self-tapping screws for $3.50-5.00 per pound, which is cheaper than even drywall screws. The best part is that they have comparable features to far more expensive screws without the ridiculous cost. Check out your local hardware, you might just save some money.

2. The following 4 users say Thank You to shortz1lla :

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark (59)
    Visit Freq:
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Fasteners and screws

I haven't found McFeely's screws to be all that expensive. Checking #8 x 1-1/2" yellow zinc plated screws, 100 count @ Lowes is $7.97, 100 count @ Mcfeely's is $6.00.
    Not sure what that works out to by the pound.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Richard M. Nixon

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    paul (56)
    Visit Freq:
    1.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I confess that I am a fan of McFeely's. I also like Bolt Depot. But I always try to trade locally when I can, and I appreciate your reminder on that point.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq:
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I too like your point about buying local when possible. Unfortunately many of our old mom & pop local hardware stores have fallen with the rise of the high volume BORGS. However, on more than one occasion it's been clear that some BORG products are often higher priced and lower overall quality.

Personally, I like the quality and selection of McFeely screws and don't find them too expensive in the overall scheme of a project. That said, they're not necessarily "Made in USA" either.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Red
    Visit Freq:
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

McFeely screws are a great quality and seldom break or strip the head. You got to love that square drive! They are a good bang for the buck. I never use any other brand except McFeely. They also offer $1 shipping on your orders. That's nice.

Red
    Red

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Len
    Visit Freq:
    3.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If you need small screws for jewelry box hinges, etc., I've found Micro-Fasteners < http://www.microfasteners.com/index.cfm > to be a good source. Relatively inexpensive too.

Len

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq:
    5.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I tried to buy local and they actually carried the brand of screws I liked but they were always out of stock. Eventually I stopped going and it looks like the recently went out of business.

stephens hardware in fuquay

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq:
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Although perhaps more pricey, I've had good luck with the Highpoint brand of square drive cabinet screws that Woodcraft sells. They are excellent quality and available in lots of sizes and types when needed quickly.

- Ken.
    "By all means read what the experts have to say. Just dont let it get in the way of your woodworking." - John Brown

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Wayne (67)
    Visit Freq:
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by KenOfCary View Post
    Although perhaps more pricey, I've had good luck with the Highpoint brand of square drive cabinet screws that Woodcraft sells. They are excellent quality and available in lots of sizes and types when needed quickly.

- Ken.
    Interesting Ken. A little birdie at the Raleigh Woodcraft told me about a year ago that Woodcraft (Highpoint brand) and McFeely use the same supplier. I agree with your quality perspective. I just make sure that I keep my supply such that I minimize my McFeely orders.

Wayne
    ..............found out many years ago that Elbow Grease doesn't come in a bottle!!!!

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Kevin (53)
    Visit Freq:
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If you catch McFeely when they are having one of their '15% off everything" sales, they aren't too bad, and the $1 shipping and no sales tax works out pretty well costwise. All of the screws I have received from them are marked "Made in China" so they are definitely not US made, but the quality appears good and consistent. I have a pretty enormous assortment of their screws in all sizes.

K

Returning Member
    Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq:
    0.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have been using these recently. http://www.quickscrews.com/catalog/s...ws/funnel-head No predrilling in hardwood, no spliting and square drive fits tight with no sripping. Anyone else tried them? BTW - Dumb question but why can't I use the "enter" key to start a new line? Can't seem to change the format.