DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (33)
    Visit Freq:
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

1/2" Solid Wood Drawer Sides

It seems that 1/2 thickness is common for drawer sides/backs. How does everyone go about getting 1/2" thick solid wood stock for drawer sides/backs? Plane down 4/4 stock to 1/2", buy something thicker and resaw then plane down to 1/2" thick? If you would go down the resaw route, what thickness would you initially purchase?

Jeremy

Staff Advisor
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Joe (71)
    Visit Freq:
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: 1/2" Solid Wood Drawer Sides

If I have fairly smooth 4/4, I'll resaw and plane out to 7/16 which is 'bout the best I can hope for. Otherwise, I'll start with 5/4, resaw and plane to 1/2. Makes for a lot of shavings. In practice, my drawer sides range from 3/8 to 5/8, depending on drawer size (width) and what I have on hand. I have used prefinished ply, which felt skinner than the advertised 1/2 inch. It miked to 29/64.
    Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

3. The following 2 users say Thank You to Joe Scharle :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Wayne (67)
    Visit Freq:
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I usually take the easy way out.

A trip out to the BORG/Lowes and I pick up a piece of poplar. A short piece or two @ 1/2" x 6" x 48". Not cheap @ around $7/board but quick and easy, but most of my projects consist of fairly small drawers.

If I have some scrap poplar (4/4) then like Joe, I just feed it through the planer to 1/2" thick.

Note: For most of my drawer sides/backs, I generally use poplar as my secondary wood.

Wayne
    ..............found out many years ago that Elbow Grease doesn't come in a bottle!!!!

Senior User
    Nickname
    Matt
    Visit Freq:
    5.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If I need a large quantity, and it has to be solid, then I get 8/4 poplar at Wurth Wood Group and resaw it. It prices out at less than $2 per bf and there is no waste. Most times, I use 12mm Baltic Birch Plywood (just a tad under 1/2") - also available at Wurth. BB ply is consistent, with no voids, and does not require milling and is more stable than solid wood. It's also cheaper, and will save you loads of processing time.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Charley (72)
    Visit Freq:
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I used to go to a family owned lumber yard that stocked 1/2" clear pine in 8 and 10" widths for making drawer sides. A cabinet company pretty much had a standing order with them for it, so they always kept at least a few hundred board feet on hand. Sadly, both they and the cabinet company are now out of business. Now, when I need some I have to make it myself. I either re-saw some 5/4 rough sawn and then plane it or just plane down some 3/4 stock to 1/2". It's a mess and wastes a lot of wood, but it's considerably cheaper than buying it in the 1/2" thickness, if you can even find it.

Charley

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq:
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You're up near Gibsonville so I'd go to The Hardwood Store and get some their multi-ply, pre-finished plywood drawer sides. It's available in various widths and alteady has a bottom slot milled in. As has been said previously plywood is more stable than solid wood.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (33)
    Visit Freq:
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Furjanic View Post
    If I need a large quantity, and it has to be solid, then I get 8/4 poplar at Wurth Wood Group and resaw it. It prices out at less than $2 per bf and there is no waste. Most times, I use 12mm Baltic Birch Plywood (just a tad under 1/2") - also available at Wurth. BB ply is consistent, with no voids, and does not require milling and is more stable than solid wood. It's also cheaper, and will save you loads of processing time.
    8/4 seems really thick. Do you get Qty=3 1/2" pieces from 8/4 stock?

VP, Outreach Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bill (65)
    Visit Freq:
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Awhile back I picked up a quantity of T&G flooring, 5 1/4" wide by 5/8" thick. I trim off the T&G, butt glue it if I need wider than 4 3/4", then run it through the planer to bring it down to 1/2".

Bill
    I'll gladly tell you how I do something. Just please don't confuse that with the right way to do it, and almost certainly not the only way.