DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq:
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

How to transfer a pattern without carbon paper using newsprint

This is something my wife found in one of her emaIls. She said some news papers may not give a very dark transfer but will work on most. It's a big BFO for me.
    (Brilliant Flash of the Obvious)

http://livingwithlindsay.com/2009/07...ingwithLindsay
    Last edited by Tarhead; 06-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    ‎"Good things happen to people who underestimate their setbacks."-Jason Isbell

2. The following 8 users say Thank You to Tarhead :

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (42)
    Visit Freq:
    7.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: How to transfer a pattern without carbon paper using newsprint

I go a very different route...

I simply print the design/layout onto paper (laser gloss works best, you can also use transparency film) with my laser printer (either color or mono) as a mirror image. I then use a "hobby" clothes iron (not the good one) set to its highest heat setting (though for some you may need to back off a hair) and then go about transferring the toner onto my project. I use the same iron coupled with a damp cloth whenever I need to remove dents in wood (accidents do happen in the shop after all).

Don't expect laser-quality transfer of your design (unless your board was absolutely silky smooth), but for many toners it is at least as good as carbon paper if not vastly superior (it takes way less time and transfers far more detail). If you have a color laser you can even transfer in color, just keep in mind that some colors show better than others (e.g. yellow on Poplar would not be a good choice).

It is a really handy method when you have a project that requires a lot of precisely aligned holes (just add center marks) and cutouts since the lines provide excellent reference points to align your drill bit and saw to (such as for hole cutting). (However, if all you need is precisely aligned marks for drilling, you can skip the transfer step and just use a center punch to mark dead center for each hole -- but once you need cut-lines or wish to add text or graphics, toner transfer is your friend.)

Just as an FYI, there are some laser printers models out there that use very high fusing temperatures and do not lend themselves to the task (at least not with an ordinary clothes iron) and, more often than not, OEM toner cartridges generally yield superior results versus economy grade toner refills.

I often use the exact same method for creating a resist layer when etching circuit boards.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq:
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yep, the iron on laser toner method is good for smaller format patterns if you have a printer and the substrate can handle the heat. Some patterns I use are not printed in a format I want to sacrifice with an iron and/or the wood is too thin or fragile for the heat of an iron. I can use a few sections of the Charlotte Disturber instead of expensive carbon paper and be finished tracing a pattern long before I could get things set up for the iron on method.
    ‎"Good things happen to people who underestimate their setbacks."-Jason Isbell

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Andy (55)
    Visit Freq:
    3.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have been working on "assisted freehand" transfer using dividers to make sure I get important points placed exactly. But most of what I do is carving or scroll cutting so a little deviation can be passed off as artistic expression. It's pretty necessary to be able to draw for some carvings as you need to keep penciling the pattern back in as you go deeper.