Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Banner Ad 1)

Special Events in the next 30 days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Andy (55)
    Visit Freq:
    4.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

How to treat a large tree slice?

Paging Dragon...

Other instruction welcome also of course.

So I got this fresh cut slice of a cherry trunk about 2' in diameter and maybe 4" or so thick. I am really not sure what I am going to do with it. But I assume I should seal it now. I was thinking of painting it with exterior latex. I would love to hear some suggestions as to what to do with it now as well as eventually. It could become an awesome relief carving someday.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq:
    5.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: How to treat a large tree slice?

I think id go with parifin way melted and poured over. But that just me.

Thanks Mark
    "The measure of a mans life is not his accomplishments but, the stories people tell after he is dead!"Joe Stewart 1956-2011

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Gary
    Visit Freq:
    0.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Whisper sweet nothings to it and treat it like a lady!! Or you could just send it my way and I could do it fr you.

+1 on parrafin or at least endgrain sealer. In all likely hood it will still split radially, and you will need to fill them with something.
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."~ Sir Winston Churchill

Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq:
    0.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

All of the above are good choices.I use anchor seal.I would just seal the ends.
    May God Bless
    Ken

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Andy (55)
    Visit Freq:
    4.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Gary,

If you have something in mind and would actually use it, I would make it available. I picked it up to save it from becoming kindling. I got a few other pieces that I either know what to do with or have been distributed.

PM me if you want to follow up.

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Andy (55)
    Visit Freq:
    4.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

OK, I stink at estimating.

I was close on diameter, but it is a little over 2'. I was way off on thickness. I was actually going to say 6" but figured I was being overly optimistic. Actually it is 8" on the "thin" side and 11" on the thick side. The "half cut dropoff" on one side is thicker than I realized. So this is a round full of blanks, not just a slice.

It's more than I want to deal with, so I am making it available.

PM me if you are interested in coming to get it. I don't want it to crack and I haven't sealed it, so I am going to let whoever can get it soonest have it. I am down where Cary, Holly Springs and Apex confront each other near 1010 and Kildaire Farm Rd.

EDIT - at 10:00 AM I will paint it if no one has contacted me yet. I would hate to see this go to waste by cracking and it is already warming up.

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Andy (55)
    Visit Freq:
    4.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

No takers and Gonzalo got my carving chunks cut out of the other log. I painted this earlier and will drop it back off with him when I pick up my chunks. he is looking for expert advise on cutting the burl and crotch in another thread and offering blanks for the help. This one will be easy - slice it like a pizza and cut the points off - wala - 6 or 8 blanks...

Nickname
    Bob (72)
    Visit Freq:
    0.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Andy, I sent you a PM.

Bob

Returning Member
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Andy - I'v some experience in dealing with pieces like this. What I'd say is that there is no way on God's Green Earth that slice will stay in one piece unless you put a very thick melted coat of paraffin on it, and that doesn't do much good because it will then not dry, and when you take the parafin off, you're back where you started.

There's two routes you can go. If you want to turn or carve smaller blocks out of it, just split with a wedge - at least in half, then paint, wax, or anchorseal the ends. The split will assure that it won't turn into toothpicks as it dries.

If you want it to remain a slice, one more decision to make. If you're interested in turning a very large end-grain bowl and can't get to it for a month or more, put a heavy coating of melted parafin on it, which will keep it in the green state until you get to it. If it's only going to be a week or so, I'd submerge it in a rubbermaid tub of water.

Finally, you can control, but not stop, the radial shrinking as it dries so that it remains as a contiguous slice - you need to cut a kerf from the outside of the tree all the way to the center of the pith. Once it's dry, I've seen some folks that use things like this in sculpture insert a piece to plug up the cut (which will have opened to a pie wedge shape as it dries).

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Andy (55)
    Visit Freq:
    4.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

David,

I could defintely use your advice on drying my big blanks. I will have to post some pics; they're purty. Right now, they are half log sections with the bark on. About 2' to 3' long and the log was about 10" in daimeter. They have a good inch of sapwood all the way around; not sure if I can leave that when I carve them. Two will probably be rebecs or similar instruments and the other a citole.

Returning Member
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
    David,

I could defintely use your advice on drying my big blanks. I will have to post some pics; they're purty. Right now, they are half log sections with the bark on. About 2' to 3' long and the log was about 10" in daimeter. They have a good inch of sapwood all the way around; not sure if I can leave that when I carve them. Two will probably be rebecs or similar instruments and the other a citole.
    Andy - called Gonzalo last evening to offer a bit of expertise as to what to do with the rounds, crotches and (especially) burls to keep them in good shape until he decides what to do with them - turning, carving, or perhaps even veneer slicing (of the burls). You might want to contact him and collaborate.

I won't repeat everything here, but the single most important thing for you to do is act quickly. End-grain slices of tree trunks can develop pretty bad checking in just a single day, particularly in the hot summer. The basics to what I suggested to Gonzalo is to decide whether to A) keep the wood stable and green for turning (it turns a lot easier when it's green) or B) cut it into a stable form and allow it to slowly dry - and do one or the other within 24 hours.

If you want to turn your slice into smaller carving/turning blanks, split it like you wood firewood (or you can saw it like firewood, but that's a lot more work), and heavily coat the end-grain and then allow it to slowly dry in a cool place. If you want to keep it green, put it into a thin plastic bag like a white kitchen garbage bag. The very thin plastic will allow some moisture transmission, but will keep the humidity relatively high around the blank and slow the drying process way down. You will need to check it occasionally to make sure that you're not building up so much moisture that you're in danger of mildew. Turners often use the method of turning a rough blank bowl out of a piece, saving the wet shavings, and putting the bowl blank and the wet shavings in a couple of layers of brown paper bags from the grocery store. That's designed to slow down the drying process, though it will dry a bit faster than just the blank in a thin white kitchen garbage bag.

Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Seems like I'm always late to the party here lately. Anyway, I don't normally do anything more than try to cover my wood cutting with something to slow the moisture evap. rate, (chainsaw shavings, etc., or put in a container of some sort that breathes slowly like a cardboard barrel, or cover with a tarp), and most of the time I get pretty passable results. Bear in mind that some checking/cracking in a given piece, depending on the intended purpose or end use, gives it a bit of the "natural" flavor and adds character.

If it happens to be a piece like your cherry cut there that I really want to keep from cracking, I use BLO, on the heavy side, and wrap in heavy paper and/or plastic, cover all that with chainsaw shavings, and put it in a wood crate that I scarfed from work and leave it be for a few months. I put several nice chunks in it last winter and didn't mess with it until early June. Everything dried out really well and there were only a couple of pieces that had any cracks at all and those were quite acceptable.

I'm still experimenting with various methods and the only reason I haven't tried the commercial products like Anchor Seal and Pentacryl is the cost. Right now, only doing this on a hobbyist budget, I can't justify the expense of the fancy stuff. I may be a Neanderthal woodworker but what I turn out is quality work or it gets transformed into ashes.

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Andy (55)
    Visit Freq:
    4.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    I may be a Neanderthal woodworker but what I turn out is quality work or it gets transformed into ashes.
    In one breath, no doubt.

Thanks for replying, though. If it had been thinner, I would have kept it to try my hand at your sort of work.

Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
    In one breath, no doubt.

Thanks for replying, though. If it had been thinner, I would have kept it to try my hand at your sort of work.
    Over the last few days I've been out in the yard doing a little cleaning up and rearranging things. Came across a cherry slice much like the one in your post here that I had just left lying on top of the stump. Being pretty much at ground level and being exposed to every raindrop since about January, it ain't looking too bad. I picked it up to move it and noticed the surface facing up was really, really dark from weathering and there were some termites that had set up shop on the underside. I brushed off the critters and set the slab up on a concrete block which is sitting atop another log. I have plans to bring it into a drier place just to see what it looks like and then maybe try cutting it thinner or just trial sanding one surface.

Thought I'd throw in the above just to let you know sometimes we get lucky when nature takes its course. Drying woods is a real PITA sometimes. I'd take some pics of my "new," (patent pending), "Official Redneck Neanderthal Cobbled-Up Blue Tarp Encrusted Air Kiln" but the resulting guffawing, knee slapping, rolling on the floor gasping for breath while suffering a massive and near fatal laughing attack, of the membership here would no doubt get me banned from ever signing on here again, and likely sued by the medical profession for the sudden influx of hysterical laughing cases hitting the ER's. (Will let you know if my idea works or not in a few months.)

Anyway, were I in your shoes at this point, I'd give it a whirl with that piece and see what'cha come up with. Cut three legs fer it and make a tripod table if nothing else. I've got several "projects" running loose around here that get trotted out when family comes to visit and we need a small table for the young'uns to eat on. My two eldest daughters get all googly with the "Wow Daddy, you made that? That's really neat, can ya make me one?" Right now I have standing orders for over a dozen tables of various sizes and end uses. Maybe I'll live long enough to get them done.

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Andy (55)
    Visit Freq:
    4.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

There is a bike trail nearby that borders a nature preserve and the trees that were cut on that side of the trail were left down to create a brush area so yuo see the end of a lot of cut trunks from the path. Some have a few large logs and slices also, cut to shorten the trunk so it was not too close to the path. Most have cracks, but the odds against a log drying naturally without checking are not as low as a lot of folks think. I am absolutely not suggesting that it's a good drying strategy, just making an observation...