DQ
    Nickname
    Tracy (53)
    Visit Freq:
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Juniper lumber

Whas it good for? Ok that was a song, Seriously, tell us a little about Juniper Wood.
    Tracy

Making Friends One Post At A Time

The task is always worthwhile if you learn something in the process.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Reggie
    Visit Freq:
    4.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Highly prized by the old time boat builders on the coast. Rot resistant and very light. In the cedar family, I believe. Smells great!

"The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money!" Alex de Tocqueville"

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Matt (65)
    Visit Freq:
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Reggie is correct. Juniper is the traditional boat building lumber along the NC coast. It's also known as Atlantic white cedar. Your shop will smell great while you're working with it. It is excellent for any outdoor project, and in fact may be the best locally available domestic hardwood for that purpose. Less movement than cypress, and it's very rot resistant, and works easily. It looks nice too. Our whole master bath - walls, cabinets, etc. is all juniper. It's becoming harder and harder to find quality material.

Matt

Staff Advisor
    Returning Member
    Nickname
    DaveO (44)
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I love common plant names . Atlantic White Cedar isn't a Juniper nor really a Cedar it's Chamaecyparis thyroides most commonly known as Cypress or Falsecypress. It is a common timber on the eastern coastal fringe. I would guess that the lumber that Jack is talking about is Eastern Red Cedar, a timber more common around the area he resides. ERC isn't really a Cedar either it's Juniperus virginiana, a Juniper. And then that brings me to what we all call Cypress which is Taxodium spp.
    Cedar and Cypress are common names that refer to many genus of trees. Interesting that a "true" Cedar is Cedrus and there are only two true species in that genus. Cedar of Lebanon and Deodar Cedar with a few regional variations as subspecies.
    And the only true Cypress is Cupressus and more losely Chamaecyparis. The Cupressus genus contains many species that are not found in N. America, but the most commonly found (and sadly so) is the Leyland Cypress - Cupressus leylandii.

Dave:-)
    :-D Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile :-D

Honestly Honey, that will cost around $100 $150 $200, and I need a few more tools.

Heard from a client..."If I had your tools and experience...I could do it myself"

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    --Dr. Seuss

User
    Nickname
    Jack
    Visit Freq:
    0.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have cypress which is cypress and juniper which is atlantic white cedar, great for building boats and outdoor projects

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Tony
    Visit Freq:
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I've built boats with it from 16' to 60'.It's great for carving and model boats.Tony
    O The Secret of Joy in work is contained in one word;Excellence.To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.By Pearl Buck

Nickname
    Phillip
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
    I love common plant names . Atlantic White Cedar isn't a Juniper nor really a Cedar it's Chamaecyparis thyroides most commonly known as Cypress or Falsecypress. It is a common timber on the eastern coastal fringe. I would guess that the lumber that Jack is talking about is Eastern Red Cedar, a timber more common around the area he resides. ERC isn't really a Cedar either it's Juniperus virginiana, a Juniper. And then that brings me to what we all call Cypress which is Taxodium spp.
    Cedar and Cypress are common names that refer to many genus of trees. Interesting that a "true" Cedar is Cedrus and there are only two true species in that genus. Cedar of Lebanon and Deodar Cedar with a few regional variations as subspecies.
    And the only true Cypress is Cupressus and more losely Chamaecyparis. The Cupressus genus contains many species that are not found in N. America, but the most commonly found (and sadly so) is the Leyland Cypress - Cupressus leylandii.

What happen to the days when we where satisfied with what we had and really didn't care if we had what we didn't -

Nickname
    Troy
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by saw4you View Post
    I have about 125 bf of juniper, was wondering if anyone was interested

Jack
    I don't build boats, but I do have some intrest in the Juniper.

What sizes is it cut into?

T.

Nickname
    Ivey (56)
    Visit Freq:
    0.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Hard to find anymore, I sawed about 800 b/f Saturday. Everything around the sawmill barn smells good now. All of these tree names gets me confused
    Beaver Branch Sawmill
    910-540-0705

Nickname
    Troy
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

When y'all cut down your Juniper, was the stump dry?

T.

Nickname
    Ivey (56)
    Visit Freq:
    0.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I picked up the few juniper logs that I had from another log yard, so could not tell you what the stump looked like, sorry...

BTW Jack, not trying to steal your thread
    Beaver Branch Sawmill
    910-540-0705

Returning Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Geoff
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by DaveO View Post

This explanation would have been so much easier to understand if you had tried some more of that mangled English you were promoting in a different thread.

User
    Nickname
    Jimmy
    Visit Freq:
    0.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog72 View Post
    This explanation would have been so much easier to understand if you had tried some more of that mangled English you were promoting in a different thread.
    Are you hainvg prbeloms randieg some of tehse ptsniogs Bdgoig ?
    Jimmy

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did" - Mark Twain

" Does history record any case in which the majority was right ?" - Robert Heinlein

Nickname
    Troy
    Visit Freq:
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
    I picked up the few juniper logs that I had from another log yard, so could not tell you what the stump looked like, sorry...

BTW Jack, not trying to steal your thread
    10-4.

Reason I ask.... is I pittle w/ duck and goose decoys. I'm not a decoy carver, but aspire to make a few to hunt over - old school decoys, made in the traditional ways with tradition materials (Juniper).

One decoy maker (Nick Sapone), had once told me that Juniper is best when cut in the dead of winter (while the sap is down). And if the stump is "wet", you need to be concerned with sap coming out of the decoys - which in turn, results in having to use and epoxy to seal the wood (and the epoxy kit - is like $150)...

I'm mainly looking for "scrap" sized pcs of Juniper, that boat builders throw away. Hate to order it in full boards, because it can get pricey... so if y'all have any "scrap", please keep me in mind (or if your board stock isn't outrageous, I would be interested in that too).

Thanks,
    T.

PS Jack - you have a PM