Woodpecker Slab Mill Questions

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I have access to a complete slab mill setup, except the ability to reach across a 64" door blank/ slab. I'm looking at the 76" rail kit and wanted to see if anybody had them. And if so were they rigid enough to span that length ? Any other potential issues encountered? $369 for two pieces of extrusion is festoolian type pain. Thanx in advance for any guidance offered.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
"festoolian". With your permission, I may to use that sometime(s), yes?

Bill E

Bill
User
Please consider my ad about 2 months ago. Go to Search : Panel Saw for sale .Hinge the unit to wall ; add two legs; Change the skill saw to a heavy duty router and you have factory welted base +- 1/32 tolerance and surface area of about 8 feet by 5 feet to work on.I am not into slab cutting and to old.The unit is in Burlington and a great buy! Thanks Bill E

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Please consider my ad about 2 months ago. Go to Search : Panel Saw for sale .Hinge the unit to wall ; add two legs; Change the skill saw to a heavy duty router and you have factory welted base +- 1/32 tolerance and surface area of about 8 feet by 5 feet to work on.I am not into slab cutting and to old.The unit is in Burlington and a great buy! Thanks Bill E
Having 9 inset panels on a door that has to be 1.75 inches thick takes me away from experimenting on the fly. I know the slab mill with a good set of cross rails will give me what I need.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I have access to a high end wall mount panel saw in work and having used it I know it won't give me what I need. I'm figuring on having some twist and misaligned glue joints. I need a large flat surface so I can shim the 64" by 96" door blanks level and flat to clean the upper surface so I can be flipped over and cleaned up again.
I also called the manufacturer of the mill and the cross rail extension kit that is listed as being 76" long only provides 62" of capacity. Looks like limited options cause I know of no CNC routers in my area that are wide enough to reach 64".Oh well, if it was easy everybody would be doing it. Thanx for the input so far.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I built out a slabbing using the Rockler kit, 5'X9'. It works well and maybe adaptable to your needs. However, it is based on 1-1/2" EMT so there is some flex. When I have used it, I built interim supports which significantly stiffened the long run. It would be possible I guess to stiffen the EMT on the cross rails but a bit more complicated.

An inexpensive entry point that worked for me and a Festool router. As always, YMMV

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I appreciate the recommendation but I cannot have any flex plus I need to be out past 64" of width and 96" of length . I have a stacked up set of dimensions that will show given how and where this door will be hung. Going by my favorite largeCNC shop to check with them about potential help.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I have more than I should of Woodpecker's tools including the slab flatting mill which if your working on slabs is IMO a must have. I added the 24" rail kit going from 48.5 to 72.5 wide x 9 foot long x 3.5 inches thick boards and found the accuracy is spot on with no wobble or flexing at all, just rock solid. Found for live edge and really large glue-up this mill is a real time saver. Yes it's not cheap but the quality is spot on and that's what I am willing to pay for.

iclark

Ivan
User
I would suggest checking out the 80/20 company extrusions. We have had excellent experience with them.

They might make the extrusion cross-section that you are looking for. If not, there is likely one that will work.

There my be a local distributor in your area.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I have more than I should of Woodpecker's tools including the slab flatting mill which if your working on slabs is IMO a must have. I added the 24" rail kit going from 48.5 to 72.5 wide x 9 foot long x 3.5 inches thick boards and found the accuracy is spot on with no wobble or flexing at all, just rock solid. Found for live edge and really large glue-up this mill is a real time saver. Yes it's not cheap but the quality is spot on and that's what I am willing to pay for.
Rick, This is a job for a friend and will not be duplicated anytime soon. Doors this big do not belong in my shop. I have access to a free mill setup but he does not have enough rails to reach my dimensions. I referred to flex and wobble in regards to a suggestion that involved using conduit, not. Believe me, I'm with you I'll buy anything good that will make me money as my shop equipment choices will attest to. If I had the room my CNC router would be a 4 by 8 instead of a 4 by 5. BTW, I called them Monday and was on hold for over 20 minutes. That ended that.
I would suggest checking out the 80/20 company extrusions. We have had excellent experience with them.

They might make the extrusion cross-section that you are looking for. If not, there is likely one that will work.

There my be a local distributor in your area.
Clark, I worked for Item which was the equivalent to 80/20 before there was an 80/20. Used that great company to build my CNC so very familiar with the whole process. Not looking to build a machine to help me build TWO doors but Thanx.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors