Smoke Detector

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Any recommendations for a garage smoke detector that alarms remotely? Our garage is semi detached from the house via a carport. It shares an upper floor wall with the house that is a fire rated wall. I tried smoke detectors years ago and ran into constant nuisance alarms from dust. Is there anything new some of you are using?

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I don't know how they would handle dust, but the Nest Protect smoke detectors are what I've got in my house and I like them. Connects via wi-fi and does self testing every month. You get updates when the test occurs via the app. The app also lets you silence the alarm if it goes off.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Look for the "kitchen" rated one maybe.
If your detector is going off for dust, please, for the sake of your lungs, control the dust. It kills. There should never be enough airborne dust to trigger an alarm.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Thanks. I wear a half face when working. I keep a couple of drying cabinets running often and get tired of blowing out detectors. My fear is something starting up when I am not in there.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I have the Kidde smoke / co2 smart alarm, older home and alarms are not hard wired together. 3 total alarms, I had one go off once, and it did not trigger the others, and it took 15 minutes for the alert to go off on my phone.

I plan on hardwiring them all at some point for better reliability. Or switch to Nest and see if it is better.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
You can get dust covers for smoke detectors

50 Pack Smoke Detector Fire Alarm Dust Cover, Paint Cover Thicken Elastic Smoke Detector Cover Stretch Plastic Fire Alarm Cover During Cooking or Baking(Orange) Amazon.com

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS