Paste Wax Replacement

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just FYI.

Over the past year there have been several discussions about paste wax now that Johnson's is apparently no longer available. I saw this recently in Home Depot. Seems a bit pricey, but if that is all there is. 😥

1710341323361.jpeg

jgt1942

John
User
Wow, that surprises me, initially I didn't believe it and found the following.

According to a post on a Woodnet forum, Johnson Paste Wax was discontinued on December 31, 2021. A post on The Patriot Woodworker also confirms that Johnson Paste Wax is no longer being made. However, some say that it is still available from online retailers like Amazon, but at a much higher price.

Also I did find it on Amazon for $154, yes $154.

In my search I also found the following.

Some say that Minwax Paste Finishing Wax works just as well as Johnson Paste Wax. Others say that any brand of hard floor wax can work as a substitute for Johnson Paste Wax, as long as it has a high carnuba content.

I have a few cans of Briwax, thus I'm set for what years I have left.

Amazon offers several good options, just make sure what you are looking at does not contain some thing that will create issues for you.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I have heard good things about this trewax carnuba paste wax as a replacement for Johnsons.

Trewax Paste Wax with Carnauba Wax, Clear, 12.35-Ounce, Ideal on Hardwood Floors, Fine Furniture, Granite, Marble and Bronze https://a.co/d/121aoQ8

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just FYI.

Over the past year there have been several discussions about paste wax now that Johnson's is apparently no longer available. I saw this recently in Home Depot. Seems a bit pricey, but if that is all there is. 😥

View attachment 227123
Well at 1 lb. net weigh, I would assume that's about twice the amount or more as is in a JPW can, so not so pricey when you look at it that way.

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
I’ve started making my own. Found an old article in the Feb 2000 issue of fine woodworking. So far, it works. Just have to go through the hassle of mixing it. C

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Well at 1 lb. net weigh, I would assume that's about twice the amount or more as is in a JPW can, so not so pricey when you look at it that way.
JPW came in a one pound can too, so the Minwax is 2x the price/weight. One can will probably last you most of your life tho, so if you look at it from that perspective...:)

-Mark

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Back in the day, a store called Home Quarters went under. During their sell-off I purchased maybe 10 cans of Staples wax. As of now I have 8 unopened cans left. That means I used up 1 1/2 cans of wax in 30 years. I just use it on rough-turned bowls to slow down the drying on the end grain. Seven of the cans are clear and one is dark wax. If anyone in the Raleigh area would like a can, let me know. I won't charge Amazon prices.

Roy G

Pointfiveone.5

New User
Dru
I just got done applying Soft Touch Minwax finishing wax to a project and I can at least say I am happy with the results. Soft matte sheen, good feel on the fingertips, easy buffing out. I have used this wax on previous projects as well but as they were commissions I am unsure of the lasting durability so no results to record on that yet.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Doesn’t it dry?
Havent checked for drying. It just left a mess under the places I used it. OBTW, I have lubed forstner bits with it. Took care of the squeals!

Last edited:

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Happy to. This is for furniture that doesn't have a finish that is sensitive to solvents. This produces a nice glossy sheen without being too hard to buff out.

Ingredients
8 parts beeswax
3 parts carnauba wax
9 parts turpentine

Instructions
  • Melt the waxes, using the double-boiler method
  • Remove the wax from the heat and add turpentine while stirring
  • Add pigment, if desired
  • Transfer to a clean container while warm
I found this in Fine Woodworking - Feb 2000 issue. I just used this on a French kitchen shrunk that my wife and I bought in Mainz, Germany, while we lived there. Really gave it new life.

Mark

gtrboy77

Dean
User
Happy to. This is for furniture that doesn't have a finish that is sensitive to solvents. This produces a nice glossy sheen without being too hard to buff out.

Ingredients
8 parts beeswax
3 parts carnauba wax
9 parts turpentine

Instructions
I found this in Fine Woodworking - Feb 2000 issue. I just used this on a French kitchen shrunk that my wife and I bought in Mainz, Germany, while we lived there. Really gave it new life.

Mark
Thanks, Mark!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Just FYI.

View attachment 227123
I still have at least one can of Johnson's Paste Wax on the shelf. There are many waxes that should be a good substitute for Johnson's. Collinite 476 is a paste wax, and Collinite Insulator Wax is a liquid wax are just two waxes that I have used on my table saw, band saw, planer, jointer, and lathes, that work just as well as Johnson's Paste Wax, possibly providing more resistance to rust than Johnson's.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member

Ingredients
8 parts beeswax
3 parts carnauba wax
9 parts turpentine

Instructions

Mark

I just made a small batch of this to give it a try. I’ve used several recipes for homemade paste wax, but I like this one the best. It dries quickly and buffs out very nicely.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors