My work desk... just finished of Sunday, March 17, 2014

helper

helper - woodsman
User
White Oak local to the property I live - we brought in a sawmill and processed about 2k board feet of trees that were what I considered as way too close to the house (even had the deck built around one that was about 30" in diameter). Wood was processed in 2013 and has been drying in my woodshed since - moisture was less than 5% for most after I had sized up the rough stuff and left in my garage for another six months or so.

Desk is 70"x28" and the thickness is 7/8" - started with 5/4" but had some pretty bad warping in a couple of the boards. Three boards, connected with 1/4" dowels at about 6" apart (yeah, I'm old fashion). Used Tightbond III my go to glue.

Finished with just at 10 coats of spar varnish diluted 50/50 and sanding with 220 between the first few coats, then applied using 0000 steel wool after that. Wanted it to last and this is a high volume workstation, so I put a 4mil plastic coating on top (yeah, I know the spar varnish is strong, but...)

The motorized legs I purchased through Amazon.

My first day, well, I have to say, it is a welcome relief to my butt not having to sit all day (I still work as a programmer/analyst and put in 40 to 70 hours a week).

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Standing work stations are a life saver!
Is the plastic top sheet rigid or flexible?

helper

helper - woodsman
User
The plastic is flexible - again, from Amazon. My previous library table that I was using as a desk is a fumed white oak table from "back in the day" - I used a lighter weight flexible on that one too.

helper

helper - woodsman
User
I rolled the matt out in the sun and let it sit for a few days. By the time I was ready to cut to size, most of the plastic stink had worn off.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS