Little projects between projects

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I try to tweak something in the workshop between projects. Either something that bothered me or something on my to-do list.
This time, I added the magnifier to the Harvey fence scale. I had already lowered it to reduce parallax error. This time, the line is about one paper thick off the scale. I don;t use the WIXI much and am contemplating selling it. Short pieces I find it easy and quick just to use a ruler. Now I can see the scale, so next project, see which is better.

Second fix is a wood block/guide to make putting Allen keys away easier. No fiddling to get then through the lower hole.

I plan on new overhead lights. Brighter and don't hum.

Attachments

• 20240423_132012.jpg
    20240423_132012.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
  • 20240423_131953.jpg
    20240423_131953.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 63

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Like the solution for the Allen wrenches. I have the same issue with mine. Thanks for the idea.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
Your mod on the Allen keys is great and since I have the Pittsburgh set I am making the wood block today, great idea.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Had the same hunting issue finding the right Allen key last year. Came up with a hack that works for me. Yours is more professional looking though.

Attachments

• IMG_6797.jpeg
    IMG_6797.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Allen key inventory gets to be a problem some times, particularly if you have a lot of them.
In 1999 I got frustrated to the point I had to do something. I made a hex key sizing plate from a shop cut-off. Next, I got a yard sale drawer box and labeled it. Using my gauge block, I sorted the keys.
Now what. It was time to make a proper hole chart for the various size wrenches. This way, a wrench goes into its proper hole. Please keep in mind that this list was made with a 9-pin printer from an Apple IIe. I've got Allen key blocks in all of my shop areas these days.

hex - 1.jpg hex - 2.jpg hex - 3.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I keep the Pittsburgh rack, and the SAE set, on a beveled bit of 2 x 4 with screws to hang them on screwed to my "other end" work bench. So, easy to grab one, or the set and the angle makes it easy to read. Sharpie label on the T.

These sets are so cheap, you can buy several and leave the "right" size where it is needed. I keep the one for the band saw guard at the saw, a couple by the TS. A couple in my drill bit tray. Steel seems about as good as any.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors