Introduction

Scott Torrey

New User
A Good Handyman
Hi,

I'm Scott and I started a handyman business this past year. I plan on preparing decks to be stained and I am looking into getting a reliable Random Orbital Sander. Currently looking at the Bosch GET75-6N and the Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ. Looking to minimize vibration & dust clean up. I plan on using a wetvac combined with the dust buddy. I also plan on using it to prep exterior wood surfaces on houses for painting. Specifically concerning deck preparation, I would appreciate your expert opinions on whether a belt sander may be more appropriate as well as cost effective. The concern I've seen regarding belt sanders is that they can gauge the softer decking boards such as redwood. I plan on water pressure removal (i.e., electrical water pressure machine as the gas seem to have too much pressure & can end up tearing up the softwood surface) as my first step in the preparation process followed by chemical cleaning and then brightener and lastly sanding/dust removal of the deck surface prior to staining.

Thanks,
Scott

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am a fan of Festool products, but think it may be overkill for deck finishing. They work great with the right vacuum.

Welcome.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum ! Scott

Bosch has its own version of a 6" sander that is similar to the festool rotex. It can be a geared head the rotates like a grinder or be a random orbital sander. Last checked it was around 350 bucks

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum. I would minimize your tool investment initially. After you get a couple decks done, you’ll have a better idea of what works best for you.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Welcome! Look at the 3M ROS. I love mine. Haven't touched my Bosch since. I run a ClearVue cyclone into a Fein Turbo II dust extractor.

A 5 inch ROS is a finishing sander. Probably not the tool for deck or siding work. I have a 6 inch Bosch which is more of a roughing tool, along with my Makita belt sander, big 6 inch angle sander etc.

You did not mention where you are located. As tools are expensive, most folks will entertain letting you look and try one of theirs if you visit.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hi,

I'm Scott and I started a handyman business this past year. I plan on preparing decks to be stained and I am looking into getting a reliable Random Orbital Sander. Currently looking at the Bosch GET75-6N and the Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ. Looking to minimize vibration & dust clean up. I plan on using a wetvac combined with the dust buddy. I also plan on using it to prep exterior wood surfaces on houses for painting. Specifically concerning deck preparation, I would appreciate your expert opinions on whether a belt sander may be more appropriate as well as cost effective. The concern I've seen regarding belt sanders is that they can gauge the softer decking boards such as redwood. I plan on water pressure removal (i.e., electrical water pressure machine as the gas seem to have too much pressure & can end up tearing up the softwood surface) as my first step in the preparation process followed by chemical cleaning and then brightener and lastly sanding/dust removal of the deck surface prior to staining.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott - Welcome to NCWW.

Please take all of my comments as information, based on my experience (which may not relate to you and your client base), and not as criticism.

I have handyman/deck experience (different work now, but I miss it) and I have done my share of deck work (repairs, rebuilds, replace, re-stain etc etc). In that period of several years working on at least a dozen decks, I can say that I had only very minimal use for a sander (of any sort). Decks can be done in mahogany, ipe, teak or anything else exotic or domestic ... and can be built as showpiece furniture. But I never got to do work on those, as my client base had almost exclusively SYP treated lumber decks. On these decks ROT was the dominant issue, and so a typical job was to replace rotted pieces, and restain the entire deck. It was very rare indeed for me to sand anything. If I needed a sander I used my old corded Makita palm sander or Ryobi 18V ROS sander and 40 or 60 grit paper to 'level' some transition between two pieces. I do own a Festool sander (the inexpensive 'gateway' promotional sander they did years ago) that I would never even think of using on a deck, unless a client wanted a deck built like furniture and was willing to pay for that - and no one ever asked me for that! Railings were the most likely place to get sanded, but even that was quite limited.

Welcome to the forum. I would minimize your tool investment initially. After you get a couple decks done, you’ll have a better idea of what works best for you.
^^^^ This is great advice - keep your tool acquisitions costs DOWN. It is soooo easy to acquire tools before you really need them - and therefore waste dollars and spend all your income. I generally purchased tools as needed for specific jobs - and eventually that slowed because I had what I needed.

I needed and used mostly
- a mitersaw; I had a 10" NON-compound miter saw
- a circular saw (aka Skil-saw)
- occasionally a jig saw (a hand saw or pull saw from HF might substitute here)

You don't give your location (I'm in Raleigh), but I may have a BUNCH of handyman type tools for you - we can work a sweet deal (for you).
Pry bars, cat's paws, mini-sledges, saws (miter, jig, circular) impact driver, paint poles (easiest way to apply stain), deck brushes (for staining), ladders(?), and maybe more.

Happy to converse in private messages or email as well if you like.

Henry

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS