Finishing suggestions for SYP porch ceiling?

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
My original plan was to paint the porch ceilings in our new house build but we really like how the “character grade” SYP looks so we want to finish it with something that will show off the wood.

I am not planing to stain or dye the wood but I would like to protect it and enhance it a bit. If this were a darker wood, I would likely use Waterlox but I think it may add too much yellow / amber for SYP.

Any and all suggestions on what I should use are welcomed!

Attachments

• IMG_4789.jpeg
    IMG_4789.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 36

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is no finish that is going to protect and seal that surface and is not going to effect its color.
Being an exterior surface but protected from direct sun and rain, any clear exterior wood sealer or marine finish will give the protection but it will darken and yellow the surface.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I’ve been surprisingly pleased with Total Boat Halcyon Water based varnish. I’ve used the amber which is tinted to resemble oil based varnishes. But other water based clear varnishes I’ve used are very clear. I would expect the clear satin would be a good choice for your ceiling.
Halcyon clear satin varnish

I’ve purchased direct but, it appears to be available from several sources

mpeele

michael
User
I have a screened porch that has a SYP celling finished with min wax poly 21 years ago. Only place that ever needed refinishing is an area where a sky light leaked.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I find that Helmsman (owned by Minwax) spar varnish imparts more of a grey color rather than the yellow from typical PUs. The added benefit of spar varnish is it has more UV protection and plasticizers which take temperature differences better.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors